Big Four Ice Caves

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
Nobody
Site Admin

Big Four Ice Caves

Post by Nobody »

Took the family on a summer snow trek into the Big Four Ice Caves. The Ice Caves are not even close to opening up. There is a significant amount of snow covering the snow field. Even so, it's well worth the short one mile trek in. The trail is in perfect condition. We easily pushed a stroller all the way to the glacier. My 3 and 6 year olds easily made the trek under their own power. If you find yourself in the greater Seattle area, visiting the Ice Caves is highly recommended! A significant part of the Pacific Northwest history comes from this part of Washington State.

You can find more pictures here
http://www.snowtrek.org/big-four-ice-ca ... -caves.php

Area where the Big Four Lodge once stood. The ice caves are at the base of the mountain.

Having grown up in the area, I've been to the ice caves many many times. Each time is just as good as the first.

Beautiful trail through the forest

First view of the glacier as you arrive at the snowfield. The glacier is formed by snow falling off the 6,000 foot mountain.

Every few years, someone gets hurt or killed here. Usually once the caves have opened up.

Against the wishes of the government, I made it official and put on the showshoes. I'll save my nanny state rant for another time.

The fun police showed up and asked us to get off the snow. :rolleyes2: Clearly our lives were at risk.

The End
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Re: Big Four Ice Caves

Post by n16ht5 »

Looks like a good time, I like going up there... This is a bit of an old thread I see.. oh dear
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Big Four Ice Caves

Post by Nobody »

eh, they're all old. Been pretty slow around here. Hopefully I'll get out more than twice this year. :cool:

I guess I should add the panorama.
WINTER IS HERE