Snow Tire Help!!

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
BridgerMT

Snow Tire Help!!

Post by BridgerMT »

Looking for some tires for driving this truck around on snow packed backroads anything over about 7 % grade spins out. the tires I have on here are not doing good on snow packed roads at all.
Also what is a good air pressure that I should be running...

Thanks for any Input

Lifted On 8 Inch Pro Comp XX75
Fab-tech Dirt Logic 2.25 Dual Steering Stabilizer
Pro Comp Traction Bars
Toyo Open Country MT 37x13.5x22
MKW 22x11 Wheels
MBRP 4 Inch Exhaust
Superchip
Arp Head Bolts
Attachments
My 06 f350 King Ranch 6.0
My 06 f350 King Ranch 6.0
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow Tire Help!!

Post by Nobody »

With those 22 inch wheels, your best bet is probably just to chain up. I can't even recommend airing down that tire/wheel combo.

Running anything other than the recommended manufacturer tire pressure is hard on tires. While low pressure helps significantly, you have to limit your speed otherwise you'll generate too much heat, and the sidewalls will break down and eventually fail. A heavy vehicle is going to be especially hard on the sidewalls.

Changing to a 15-17 inch wheel will allow you to run lower pressure, but you'll still be limited how low you can go due to the sheer weight of your truck. You'd need to air up anytime you want to go faster.

You should be able to get around ok, if you changed to a 15-17 wheel, and choose a tire with lots of siping and/or studs. You're pretty limited in the 37" tire range.

Something like the Goodyear Duratac should work great, but it tops out 35 inches, and that is only available in a 20 inch wheel :rolleyes2: . I'm not really familiar with what tire/wheel options are available for fullsizes, so I can't really recommend anything. Look for lots of factory siping, or have whatever you buy siped. Studs are a great option too, but you have to pull them at the end of the winter driving season.

Goodyear DuraTrac
WINTER IS HERE
BridgerMT

Post by BridgerMT »

Hi,
Thanks for the great info, I have tried a few things that are helping me I will share.
First thing I put my Super-chip setting back to the stock to help eliminate extra torque. (FOR NOW :D)
Then I lowered the air pressure to 40 lbs what a difference these 2 things made I am not to worried about driving around at 40 lbs because I am only driving less than 50 to 60 miles a week at less than 50 MPH.
Next I think I will go to home depot and put about 500lbs of sand bags in the back this should help me out even more.

Thanks
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

It's hard to stay quiet on how I don't understand lifted full size trucks on giant wheels...

Nobody is right.. 22" wheels are good for absolutely nothing. You have enough lift there to clear at least 44s so I would start there with some 44s.
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

I like bacon...

Personally I think 22s are just for pimps and dope dealers but to each their own ;) . Most guys think I'm nuts for preffering to drive adound in a rusty 90 horse power beer can so who am I to judge equipment right?

Back to the topic... Heck, you can run 40psi highway no problem. On backroads we have aired down full sized with short sidewalls to the 20s anyway. That's not really aired down by any means but you will get a better hook up on icy roads. As far as deep snow, though I think some huge Iroks on smaller rims would do it justice, just don't get to crazy. I've had alot of full sized buddies in the past just wrap those things around a tree in the high country.

If I were you I would buy an early bronco, jeep or toyota and use that big dog for a tow rig... You guys have some pretty nice country down by Bozeman, there must be a pretty decent 4WD scene down there right?
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

eh... we all look equally goofy where palm trees grow. At least he's living in a better place and asking the right questions now.
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

He's in Bozeman, MT according to his profile now so there is some worth while country where he's at... That's about 3 or 4 hours from where I live. But yeah if I was parked where he is in the pic I would get towed for sure. There aren't any palm trees in Bozeman so I'm guessing that's somehwere else.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!