Howdy from BFE Montana...

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
H8PVMNT

Howdy from BFE Montana...

Post by H8PVMNT »

Great site!

:beer: :beer:

Just wanted to say hi and comment on the awesomeness of this site dedicated to everything snow... I live in Highwood, MT east of the rockies where we get alot of blowing snow that makes for some unique snow wheeling oportunities. The island mountain ranges out here amongst the prairie are pretty cool too. I will be posting up some snow wheeling and snow shoeing pics as soon as I get my front ring and pinions fixed. I have my own business so time and money is scarce this time of year. I broke them pulling an unexpected airborn maneuver off a snow bank in the inlaw's driveway at Christmas!

I run a solid axle swaped '89 4Runner with the typical goodies, 3RZ engine swap, marlin t-case, 5.29s lockers and the new 35" goodear MTR w/Kevlar. Can't wait to see how the new MTRs do in the deep snow.
Attachments
Big Boy 9-29-2012 (17) web large.JPG
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Howdy from BFE Montana...

Post by Nobody »

Welcome aboard. I can't wait to see some big sky snow wheeling. I bet your snow is pretty tough.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

cool yota
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

OK so this is a bad month for finances and I just can't afford to buy a new set of front ring and pinions in the 5.29 flavor for my busted front end. (I ended up striping 6 teeth off the ring gear with my dumbass monster truck maneuver.) Yet it continues to be winter and I am missing wheeling opportunities every weekend!

So I did the unthinkable and dug through the parts shed and unearthed a pair of stock 3rd members. They are even 3.90s instead of the usual 4.10s because they came out of an '81 Toyota. I guess that model year they were trying to make the trucks even more gutless :redneck: . Oh well at least they are super stong with a huge pinion. I welded up the spiders, checked out the bearings and reset the backlash and now I at least have 4WD again. The gearing is total crap on the highway but since I have 4.7 gears in the transfer case it still crawls plenty slow. The up in gearing might even be better for the snow, time will tell.

I hope to post up a pic or two in the near future if I get out. We have a cool 4WD trail not far from here with a snowshoe trail at the end of it.
Attachments
001.JPG
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!