What do you use for nav?

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
Baller

What do you use for nav?

Post by Baller »

Let me know. GPS? Phones? If phones, what is your app of choice? Personally, I have an iPhone 4 and use MotionX-GPS. It seems to work well for what I do. Very easy to create/plan tacks at home on a PC using Google Maps, converting them then importing them to the app. Interested to hear what other people use.

Baller
'85 Toyota
'69 Bronco
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: What do you use for nav?

Post by Nobody »

I generally use that thing between my ears, but it can be a little buggy sometimes :tongue:

In all seriousness, with Navigation being #1 on the Ten Essentials list, I do try to carry a map and compass. I think the type of outing plays a role on the navigation choices. I prefer not to rely on electronics of any kind, but they certainly have their perks. A GPS device is especially nice when visibility is limited.

I don't have a GPS or smartphone, but I do have an iPad. I have the MotionX-GPS app on it. I loved it when I could download the google/bing/apple satellite maps. Now that they stopped that, I don't use it much anymore.
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

I have to map, locate and inspect remote parcels of land as part of my job, so after trying several mapping alternatives I use a combination of a fairly simple mapping program (National Geographic's Topo) that allows you to mark waypoints as you need them and then I use a garmin GPS in the field, usually in conjunction with printed topos with my route or the same on a laptop in the truck. I still sometimes use the compass to orient myself even with all that. For more recreational navigation I rely more on compass and physical landmarks.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

I have TOPO on my computer that I print off maps from, and then I use an old android phone with MyTrails loaded with Topo and google Hybrid maps of the cascades on.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

n16ht5 wrote:I have TOPO on my computer that I print off maps from, and then I use an old android phone with MyTrails loaded with Topo and google Hybrid maps of the cascades on.
The MyTrails app lets you save the google hybrid maps?
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

lets you save a dozen diff maps, including google hybrid.