Snow levels

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
Baller

Snow levels

Post by Baller »

For the sake of not wasting time searching the interweb, is there a site, or sites, you guys look to for current snow levels? Maybe different snow levels at different elevations at different places in the Cascades?

Baller
'85 Toyota
'69 Bronco
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow levels

Post by Nobody »

No need to look all over. Got you covered. Check out our Snow Science page. Scroll down. The SnoTel site is great, and I've listed several of the Western Washington pass cameras on one page.

I like to watch the pass cameras as a quick indicator. Personally, I like to wait for a good dump of 2'+ below 2,000' feet, then hit the local hills, which top out around 4,000'. And of course, if you want snow on demand, you can usually get your fix up at 5-6,000' feet any time.
WINTER IS HERE
Baller

Post by Baller »

The SnoTel site seems to be lacking sensors from Hwy 20 south to Mountain Loop Hwy and I5 east to Hwy 530/Moutain Loop Hwy. Bummer :frown: Great work on the Snow Science page, nonetheless. It's a great resource.

Baller
'85 Toyota
'69 Bronco
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Yeah, I wish there were more stations too. I like to check out the Stevens Pass Snow Report too. Gives you a good idea of what to expect at various locations out highway 2. I should probably add a link for that too. A lot of times The North end will get snow and not Stevens, Snoqualmie or vise versa. It just all depends.

I think there is an avalanche threat site that has some good data. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it again.
WINTER IS HERE
Baller

Post by Baller »

As Goldilocks would say, Hwy 2 is a bit too far south for me and Hwy 542 is a bit far north. Hwy 20 is just right. Maybe I'll just have to drive the back roads to find out for myself.

On a similar note, I found this page that has some good info on road conditions/closures. They don't have every FS road but, that have a good number of the major ones.

Baller
'85 Toyota
'69 Bronco
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Here's another site for road status.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/condi ... RDB5126323
WINTER IS HERE