Who has a GPS?

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
Nobody
Site Admin

Who has a GPS?

Post by Nobody »

Who has a GPS? Are there monthly/annual fees? What are the must have features? I'd be mostly into using it for offroad travel/elevation.
WINTER IS HERE
ToddKaz

Re: Who has a GPS?

Post by ToddKaz »

I am using the Lowwrance Baja 540C. This unit works very well in the mountainous areas as you can purchase region specific maps that are very detailed for that region. Lowrance has the U.S. divided into 5 or 6 regions, my map covers six states in the western and northwest region. You are able to map the trails you drive and pull them up at a later time to re-run the same trail. This also allows you to trace a route back in unfamiliar territory to prevent getting lost (good for large open ares like a desert).

The amount of cool stuff this thing can do is mind numbing but have found that I mostly only use the basic options, it seems like I have to re-learn this thing every winter due to all its fuctions. The best part is the large screen, detail, external antenna pod, onscreen overlay read-outs (elevation,direction,long/lat,speed,date/time etc) and the ability to customize screen and preferences to your personal liking.

The bad is the price of the unit as well as the regional map as a seperate purchase (although it is extremely detailed) and the fact that these style GPS unit (called chart plotters) do not have the ability to use turn by turn navigation, although you can pick a spot in the middle of a remote mountain top or a GPS cordinate and it will continuously point you in the right direction to get you there.

There is no monthly fee. This unit has recently been replaced with the Lowrance HDS 5 Baja and is probably around $750 if I had to guess and the map another $100 or so.

I have had mine for about three years and have not yet seen another one up on the trails. If you can get past the price this is one really cool GPS unit and will probably be the last one you ever have to buy.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a pretty nice GPS. Do the maps include arial photos? Does it show a lot of logging road spurs?

I think I'd be more in the market for something handheld that I can take on hikes and lock it up easily. I just starting looking. Didn't realize they were still so expensive. Don't want to max out the santa card.
WINTER IS HERE
built4war

Post by built4war »

haha im not sure but is that a legal beverage while driving!!!!!!? :)
warrpath4x4

Post by warrpath4x4 »

I have a Garmin 60CSX handheld GPS with a dash mount, they are quite a bit cheaper now than when I got mine. It has a color screen, downloadable maps, will even tell you what resturaunts and gas stations are at freeway exits.
PR officer North East Oregon 4Wheelers (NEO 4Wheelers)

http://www.neo4wheelers.com/