best all around snow vehicle?

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
crewz71

best all around snow vehicle?

Post by crewz71 »

Hey guys. I am brand new to the site and i have recently gained an interest in snow wheeling/winter survival. Right now my daily is a 2009 silverado z71. Which is OK in the snow,but mainly for family travel in winter. However i am looking to start a project but cant decide on which vehicle to search for? I am torn between a toyota or a jeep. Nothing new or fancy, just something reliable and that can be built into the best all around rig. Thanks any info would be great
bobracing

Re: best all around snow vehicle?

Post by bobracing »

Either rig will work great. Big tires (flotation), lockers (traction), low gears (ability to turn tires slowly), and light weight (helps float on top) are what you're looking for in a snow rig.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I agree. Both are good platforms with massive aftermarket support. Either one can be built as far as your wallet can take it. You just have to make good choices on the build.

For me the decision would probably be swayed more toward the creature comforts. Since you mentioned an interest in survival as well, you're probably interested in packing gear. One of the many complaints I have about my Bronco is the total lack of space for gear and toys. There's also something to be said about the ability to sleep in your vehicle.

That said it's all about compromise. Head to head in serious snow wheeling conditions, a light jeep is going to do better in the snow than a loaded down 4Runner. Seeing that you're in North Dakota. You know better than I how deadly the cold temperatures can get. The ability to carry gear would be pretty important to me.

The other thing to consider is the snow and terrain you'll be in. Extreme cold generally equals really crappy snow that's tough to drive in. I assume you'll see a lot of wind slab with sugar snow underneath. Big tires with low air pressure and a very light foot are going to be key.
WINTER IS HERE
crewz71

Post by crewz71 »

Yes, the ability to carry gear/tools would be crutial. The worst thing about north dakota is the brutal cold along with the occasional foot or two of snow coped with windy conditions. This results in pillow drifts and snow that is extreamly difficult to drive in. I am starting to lean twords a toyota pickup with 22re engine and 40" tires. Based on your guys experiance is there a certain year/years of vehicle to start searching for?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

With 40's, you'll be pushing the limits of stock Toyota axles. Although, I'm not real knowledgeable on current Toyota tech, so there may be upgrades you can do to the axles to support 40's. Anything IFS would need to be upgraded to a solid axle for sure. There should be tons of support for that. I would also put Fuel Injection way up on the list. I'll assume most of the carbureted vehicles in North Dakota have long since rusted away anyway??

Since you're looking at an axle conversion anyway, don't rule out a 2-wheel drive. I think we have a few Toyota guys here. Hopefully one of them can chime in.
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

I think you could get away with 40s with Toy axles on a dedicated snow rig. I would say run 35s in the summer for high traction wheeling and keep of the stupid pedal except when necessary. I know a bunch of guys here in MT that wheel 39s and 40s on Toy axles with a 4 banger and do just great. They have all the typical gussets and good aftermarket birfields etc. I would say 5.29 to 5.71 gears in the axles and dual t-cases would be the right thing to do with that much tire and a 22re.

Starting with a 2WD chassis is a good suggestion as you can build a lower slung ride with that frame and you will find a truck in better condition to build with.

I run a 4Runner with a solid axle swap, various Toyota 4 bangers and a low geared t-case setup with 35s and I hardly ever break anything unless I jump it and land on the throttle or something stupid. For some reason the 4 banger with deep gearing works really well in bad snow compared to my buddies with more power. Odd when you think about it...

I want to try the 40" Yokohamas on my 4Runner for a deep snow tire...
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

what is your budget? that is the real question.