Predictions for snow this year

Welcome to SnowTrek.org. If you love the snow, then you've found the right place! Use this forum for general discussion about any topic. Drop-in, say hello. Get to know the other Snow Trek enthusiasts.
Fubar

Predictions for snow this year

Post by Fubar »

Any predictions for snow this year? The last few have been disappointing.
Scoobienorth

Re: Snow wheeling gear

Post by Scoobienorth »

For us I wouldn't call last year disappointing, first trip was early oct in snow and was enough I turned around due to tough conditions icy and sugary snow, and last trip in the snow some friends were in was beginning of July. April and May I did some decent snow wheeling with my 35's. Late jan feb earlyMarch I was parked because even low level stuff was too deep for me. Shuswap got hit pretty good with snow I think compared to most places though.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Predictions for snow this year

Post by Nobody »

The PNW has been in a drought since last fall. I don't ever recall so many 90* days in one summer. The last two winters have been pretty disappointing here. The trend has to change at some point. Last week we had a freak wind storm. Very unusual for this time of year. Maybe it's an indicator of things to come. Need that jet stream to park over us for a few months!
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Old- ... 60671.html

CONCORD, N.H. - Just as Seattleites were bracing for an especially potent El Nino and a relatively dry, warm winter ahead, along comes the Old Farmer's Almanac with a prediction of super cold with a slew of snow for much of the country - even in places that don't usually see too much of it, like the Pacific Northwest.

The 2016 version of the almanac, due out in the coming week, calls for above-normal snow and below-normal temperatures for much of New England; icy conditions in parts of the South; frigid weather in the Midwest - and some snow in the Northwest.

The snowiest periods in the Pacific Northwest will be in mid-December, early to mid-January and mid- to late February, the almanac predicts.

"Just about everybody who gets snow will have a White Christmas in one capacity or another," editor Janice Stillman said from Dublin, New Hampshire, where the almanac is compiled.

The almanac says there will be above normal-rainfall in the first half of the winter in California, but then that will dry up and the drought is expected to continue. "We don't expect a whole lot of relief," Stillman said.

The weather predictions are based on a secret formula that founder Robert B. Thomas designed in the 1700s using solar cycles, climatology and meteorology.

Meanwhile, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - which uses much more scientific techniques - is forecasting a 70 percent chance of a warmer-than-normal winter in most of Washington state and a 60 percent chance for the rest of the Pacific Northwest. NOAA also predicts that precipitation is likely to be normal or possibly slightly below normal across the Northwest.

That government forecast is in keeping with observations that the current El Nino could become the strongest one ever recorded by this winter. And a strong El Nino usually brings warmer and drier winter weather to Washington state - although it's no guarantee.

"A big El Nino guarantees nothing," says Mike Halper, deputy director of the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center.

So, who knows - maybe the Old Farmer's Almanac is onto something.

The 224-year-old almanac, believed to be the oldest continually published periodical in North America, is 26 years older than its closest competitor, "The Farmers' Almanac," published in Maine and due out later in August.
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/08/f ... n-forecast

Farmer’s Almanac Snow Report:

Precipitation-wise, if you like snow, then you should head out to the northern and central Great Plains (most of the North Central States), the Great Lakes, New England (sorry Boston!), and parts of the Ohio Valley where snowier-than-normal conditions are forecast.Over the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States, the winter will be stormy with a good amount of snow. We are “red-flagging” the second week of January and the second week of February for possible heavy winter weather with a long, drawn out spell of stormy weather extending through much of the first half of March. So sharpen those skis and boards, because the eastern slopes look like the ideal places to carve some turns.An active storm track will bring above-normal precipitation to the Southeast States, as well as the Mississippi Valley, Southern Great Plains, the Gulf Coast, and along the Atlantic Seaboard.

Another area of above-normal precipitation (thanks to incoming storms from the Pacific) will cover much of the Pacific Northwest.Near-to-below normal winter precipitation will cover the rest of the country, which includes much of the drought-stricken areas in the Southwest.
WINTER IS HERE