Snow builds

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
snowrunner574

Snow builds

Post by snowrunner574 »

Anyone got anything there building for snow this winter? I will be starting a 2nd gen 4runner build soon. Doubt I'll get it done for this winter but hopefully I will. Post up details and pics if you have any. :beer:
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow builds

Post by Nobody »

I'm interested as well.

What are your plans for the 4runner?

I hope to build a dedicated snow wheeler someday. Maybe something with rear steer... It'll probably be a few more years before I can get serious though. In the meantime, I'd like to at least get some 38's I can bolt on for the snow.
WINTER IS HERE
Wil

Post by Wil »

Haven't done a thing, not even sure if I can start it right now. Toy hasn't moved for about 6 months now. Always thinking about a much bigger motor but not going to happen this year. Would like to be on a 46 or 47" tire this winter, not sure if that will happen or not. Still looking forward to the snow though!!!
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

My plans for the runner are to keep it as low as possible on 38 SSR's on 15x14's. I got em for a steal from a guy on planet4x4. Its main purpose will be for snow but Ill prob dd it. Ill get some street tires for it to save the 38's. SAS of course possibly dual t's down the road, gears, lockers, lots of fender cutting and tweaking. Dunno if Ill do a 3.4 swap or just fix up the 3slow and prevent it from blowing head gaskets like there famous for. Full cage, bumpers, sliders, and of course a winch. I love my tacoma and would like to build it up but the ex cab doesnt work for me. Its a pain in the ass getting my 1 year old in and out of it so four doors is a must. Rear steer would be badass. Couple local guys here have it on there rigs. Ill prob start on it soon but use the tacoma for snow this winter. I am very much looking forward to snow too wil!
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Regarding engine choice, in the absolute toughest snow conditions, I've found the smaller, low hp, worn out engines are the best! I'm talking conditions where if you breathe on the throttle, you sink. That said, when conditions are just right, the smile on your face is directly proportional to the amount of HP!

If you've already got a runner, I'd put the engine swap way down on the priority list and focus on getting up and running!
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

I was supposed to be trading my 81 camaro for my buddys 2nd gen 4runner but it sounds like it wont be happening now. So now ive been searching craigslist and looking locally for one. Once I get one ill prob leave the engine alone if its in good shape and focus on the sas. Prob for this winter Ill just get new tires for my tacoma and hopefully some gears and a locker. I read on ttora about a guy who swapped a 4 door tacoma cab onto his 97 ex cab frame.......kinda makes me wonder if it'd be worth to do that with my tacoma. Id have the only 98 4 door around my area :cool:
warrpath4x4

Post by warrpath4x4 »

picked up a 98 XJ fairly well built, but im doing some work to make it more snow worthy.

OBA installed, dual bateries, winch installed, need to get to work on my double beadlock wheels.
PR officer North East Oregon 4Wheelers (NEO 4Wheelers)

http://www.neo4wheelers.com/
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I'd say the OBA is the important thing! Did you convert the A/C? What tires are you running? Auto/Manual?
WINTER IS HERE
warrpath4x4

Post by warrpath4x4 »

Nobody wrote:I'd say the OBA is the important thing! Did you convert the A/C? What tires are you running? Auto/Manual?
no i still like air conditioning lol

i picked up a 2 gallon air tank with a compressor on it from work on clearence for $7, built a case around it to protect and muffle sound, and wired in a power inverter that runs off the second battery which is isolated. it actually works pretty well so far.

35" BFG's

AX15 manual trans

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

That works. Have you considered separating the pump from the tank, then relocating the tank somewhere to free up the cargo realestate? Depending on how creative you want to get, you should be able to fab a bracket to add a second engine driven A/C pump.

I fabbed my own saginaw power steering and york brackets. If I recall correctly, the cherokee stock a/c pump is lower passenger side. So there should be potential to add a pump to the upper drivers side.

York bracket

Note custom hybrid serpentine / v-belt pulley
WINTER IS HERE
warrpath4x4

Post by warrpath4x4 »

ya i have thought about seperating it but theres really no where else to put the tank. i am planning on building a storage drawer that slides out in the area to the side of the compressor box.

snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Figured I'd update my status. Got my taxes sent off and should be getting my year end bonus from my work this week so I'm gonna be on the hunt for a 90s 4runner to start working on. My tacoma is going up for sale soon. Hopefully if all goes right I'll have the runner done for jubilee run on April 1st.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nothing like cutting it close! Start a build thread when you find something. We need a project to follow.
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Finally after months and months of searching I bought a 92 4runner today. Its got the typical blown 3.0 but the body and interior are in good shape for a 92. Ill start a thread on it and post some pics. I need a name for it so if anyone has any suggestions throw em out.