92 4runner build

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
snowrunner574

92 4runner build

Post by snowrunner574 »

Picked up this gem today for a grand. 4" lift 33's on 12 wides blown 3.0 with an auto( :puke: ) Other then the lift its all stock. Ive got big plans for it. Will be built around 38" SSR's on 14 wides. Its main purpose will be dd and weekend wheeler. For now my plan is to fix the 3.0 put my toyos on it and wheel it untill this summer then sas it and get it ready for snow wheeling in the fall. Im hoping to get it going for a trip to the coast at the end of this month.

This is what I want it to end up looking like.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 92 4runner build

Post by Nobody »

Looks like a very clean rig. Keeping the auto? What's the plan for OBA?
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

The auto will be coming out and a manual will go in with dual t's. Not sure on the plan for oba but It will get it. My main focus right now is to fix the 3slow and make it driveable and then get my tacoma ready to sell and I'm piling up the parts for it.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

cool
Hyde802

Post by Hyde802 »

Youll like the 5 speed. That auto is a dog...
"Its all about the parts you break and the friends you make"

92 Yota Excab spooled, bobbed, beat on 35s
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

I'm not a fan of autos. My tacoma has one and I hate it. Did I mention this is going to be a slow build? :D I'm in the process of ordering parts and trying to find a 5 speed tranny and another t case for it. After looking at the engine I decided to rebuild it instead of just doing the head gaskets. U
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Time for a lil update. Since my last post I have picked up a v6 5 speed with t case and an 83 front axle for it. After some thinking im not going to go with dual t's. Maybe in the future but not for now. I have gotten the axle tore down and am in the process of rebuilding it. Got my sky manufacturing hanger and shackels on friday. Still trying to decide what leafs I want to run. The 3.0 will be coming out shortly and getting rebuilt with an lc engineering rebuild kit. Still have alot of parts to get before I will cut out the ifs and the rear coils. My new goal is to have it done by mid july so I can take it and my family on our annual vacation to montana. Hopefully I can get it done. Heres the only pic I have for now
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for the update. Did you make it out to Jubilee? I haven't seen any reports from anyone.
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

I was at the coast that weekend and haven't gotten a chance to go up yet. I might go up this Sunday but not sure yet. I heard there wasn't as much snow as usual.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I just watched snowbatmans Jubilee 2012 video...Looks like there was plenty of snow! Pretty cool when they met the folks breaking trail from the other side.
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Looks like there was plenty of snow to me too lol I think somebody was effin with me. Anywho here is another update. After thinking about my plans for the runner I decided to switch it up. I will not be using the 3slow but will be swapping in a 3rz tacoma engine. Ive had 0 issues with the 3rz in my 98 tacoma and I think it will be a good fit for the runner since 80% of the time it will be driven on the street on 35s. Im still debating if its worth it to truss the front axle or not? Everything Ive heard and read sounds like it doesnt help at all. Any input would be great. I was able to do a lil work on it today. Took the bumper off and mocked up the front hanger. Heres a pic
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Finally got some blades and decided to start cutting up the ssr's. Outer lugs will probably get an x cut in them.
1 down 3 to go
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Not really much to post for an update. Im rethinking my plans and I might save the 3rz for later and just rebuild the 3.0 and use the v6 tranny and t case I have. The runner is on the back burner for now since Im bulding up an 81 camaro for dirt track racing that needs to be done by before late august. But after thats done all my attention (and money) will be going to the runner to get it ready for snow. Ill prob just do the 5 speed swap, sas, and leave the rear coils alone untill next year.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

The important thing is to have something moving under it's own power by the early snow we'll get this year :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Thats my goal is to just get running good. Ive decided to go a different way with this project. Ill be replacing the engine shortly and Im going to daily drive it and weekend wheel it but I wont be swapping out the tranny or doing the sas. Ive got a new idea for a wheeler that Im going to start gathering parts for. Maybe someday ill sas my runner but for now its fine being ifs.
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Its been awhile since I've been on here. I think I've changed my mind a dozen times with the plan for this runner. I FINALLY got a plan I wont change. I found a wrecked 97 tacoma with a 3.4 which I will be picking up in the next few days. So the 3.0 is coming out and the 3.4 is going in and I will convert it to a 5 speed. The ifs will stay for now since im still gathering parts for it. Hoping to get it done by april 1st so I can go play when the the roads open. I'll post pics of the swap once i start it.
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

Nice truck! You will love the 3.4. I have a buddy who did it in his '85 and it has alot of balls. I have the 3RZ and it's great too but it seems like if you start V6 it's easier to swap V6 so I think you are going the right way there...

I saw in a previous post you were debating on the axle truss. I had the same debate back in 2004 when I did my solid axle swap. I decided to run without trussing and see what happened. Well, after about 2 years I ended up with a very banana shaped axle housing with my wheels all cambered out and handling like crap. I was just rock crawling and driving around too, not jumping it every weekend. I have since got an '85 housing and did the knuckle gussets and extra truss on top. I have a ton of wheeling on it with no problems. Weld slow an inch at a time in a couple spots and go do something else for a while so you don't warp it. Let it cool and go back and do another inch here and there, let it cool for a while and do it again. It should take about half a day to weld it like this but it will still be strait.

So in summary, truss it, it's totally worth the trouble. The knuckle gussets are particularly important too...
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
nickb

Post by nickb »

X2 on the knuckle gussets. Run them from the ball to the spring perch. Make sure you gusset the bottom too.
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Well here is the final update for the runner. The deal fell through with the rolled tacoma and a buddy of mine offered to buy my runner so we found a price and I sold it to him. I also sold my 38" SSR's since they have sat for 3 years. So now I'm on the look out for a newer 4runner or 4 door tacoma. Once I find what I'm looking for I'll slowly build it up. I still have my toyos which will go on whatever I find. Hoping to make a trip up soon in my jeep since the roads opened and I havent gone up yet.