Trip Report: New Years Day 2013 Hangover Run

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Trip Report: New Years Day 2013 Hangover Run

Post by Nobody »

Brought in another New Year snow wheeling. We had plenty of snow this year, but it was go-slo snow of the worst kind. The top crust just wasn't strong enough to support us, and underneath, nothing but sugar snow. Progress was extremely slow. At lunch half the group broke to find some better snow. We continued to push up the mountain, but fell far short of the top. While we still had some daylight, we decided to try and hit another road with a chance of a view. Since we had broke trail a couple weeks prior, we easily made it to the top. The featherweight Samurai on 36's was the winner for the day.

I had my first ever ARB line failure. I must have gotten it snagged on some branches I ran over. Broke the line at the rear diff and ripped my brake lines loose from the axle housing. Luckily Steve had a compression fitting that I borrowed the ferrule from. I had to shave the ARB line to make it fit, but it got me through the day.

On the way down, when we stopped to air up, disaster struck. Just as my compressor kicked on, a loud noise errupted under my hood and my engine died. On closer inspection, I found that the coil bracket broke and the coil fell onto the serpentine belt and knocked it off. LUCKILY, the belt was fine! I was able to put it back on and continue wheeling for the remainder of the day.

To top off the day, on my way home my gas gauge quit working... and our washing machine started leaking :hmmm:

Had to stop a few times to cut some firewood

More Pictures: http://www.snowtrek.org/hangover-run-20 ... n-2013.php
WINTER IS HERE
Samurai19

Re: Trip Report: New Years Day 2013 Hangover Run

Post by Samurai19 »

Good looking pics! Even though it was tough snow still a great day!
Chris Immer

Post by Chris Immer »

Hey Thanks! We had a great time with you all. We did not get anywhere as there was no way around the logging equipment. Dion and Steve headed home and I needed to make sure I got on the boat. I am gonna run up Sumas Mountain as soon as the snow flys in the lower levels. Would love any one to join. Thanks again. See ya next time.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

looks like it was fun, nice pics
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Chris Immer wrote:Hey Thanks! We had a great time with you all. We did not get anywhere as there was no way around the logging equipment. Dion and Steve headed home and I needed to make sure I got on the boat. I am gonna run up Sumas Mountain as soon as the snow flys in the lower levels. Would love any one to join. Thanks again. See ya next time.
Thanks for the report. The road was mostly clear of logging equipment when we went by, but daylight was fading quick by then.

I wish we could have had better snow. Never know what you get on New Years day. Too bad we weren't able to break trail a few weeks ago. That would have helped a lot.

I'd like to get up Slide Mountain again sometime too. I try to get up north once a year.
WINTER IS HERE
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

If I head up there on the 12th it might be better because you "broke trail" already? :D

Have a link to a Google map of the location?

thx
Nobody wrote:
Chris Immer wrote:Hey Thanks! We had a great time with you all. We did not get anywhere as there was no way around the logging equipment. Dion and Steve headed home and I needed to make sure I got on the boat. I am gonna run up Sumas Mountain as soon as the snow flys in the lower levels. Would love any one to join. Thanks again. See ya next time.
Thanks for the report. The road was mostly clear of logging equipment when we went by, but daylight was fading quick by then.

I wish we could have had better snow. Never know what you get on New Years day. Too bad we weren't able to break trail a few weeks ago. That would have helped a lot.

I'd like to get up Slide Mountain again sometime too. I try to get up north once a year.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

We literally made it about a mile to 2,600'. Did you check my reply to your other post? Jacks Pass is a great spot, especially in current conditions.
WINTER IS HERE
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

Thanks, I did see your post and another. Truthfully I had forgotten.... :eek: Both good suggestions.

I'll hunt down the Jacks Pass location on Google. I found your 2010 trip report with the location.

Nobody wrote:We literally made it about a mile to 2,600'. Did you check my reply to your other post? Jacks Pass is a great spot, especially in current conditions.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

On my way home, I smelled something burning. It smelled more like woodfire smoke, so I assumed it was from a house in the area... nope! Just found this branch jambed through my steering, wedged agaisted the exhaust, and finally in stuck into my wiring harness.... might be why my gas gauge isn't working right. This last trip was not kind to my bronco :hmmm:
Attachments
P1050005 (Custom).JPG
P1050010 (Custom).JPG
P1050008 (Custom).JPG
WINTER IS HERE
Samurai19

Post by Samurai19 »

That sucks! Think of it as getting everything that can go wrong out of the way on the first trip of the year.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

thats a bugger of a stick you got there