Gear ratios...

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
H8PVMNT

Gear ratios...

Post by H8PVMNT »

This year I have had alot of time to think about gear ratios in my 4Runner. I did an engine swap to a 3RZ, which is about a 40 horse upgrade on the 22re I had been running.

I have ran several gear ratios this year, 5.29s, which has been my ratio of choice with the 22re, I broke some stuff and ran some 3.90s to get by, which were stupid high, and then got ahold of some free 4.10s which were suprisingly WAY better as far as drivability goes but still a bit high with 35" tires. Felt better overall compared to the 5.29s though. You can peg out 3rd and climb passes better than with the 5.29s where you need to shift too soon. This experiment got me thinking that with the upgraded engine something just a bit lower than the 4.10s might be perfect.

I recently aquired some new/used third members, one in 4.30 and one in 4.37. I was thinking that running the 4.30s up front and the 4.37 in the rear might create a nice thrust effect in the snow, meaning it would keep you tracking strait instead of sideways from the ever so slightly higher front gear ratio. The difference is only like 1.17%, pretty nominal. I know ford did this for years and I think even chevy in a few trucks.

Have you guys ever tried this in the snow? Do you notice and does it play?
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Gear ratios...

Post by Nobody »

Shouldn't you be hibernating for the summer in your new off-grid den?

My preference is to gear my axles for the best compromise of offroad/street performance and rely on the tranny and transfercase for more gear reduction. I'm currently running NP435 with a 6.69 1st gear, Dana 20 2.46, and 4.56 in the axles for a compound low of 75:1. With my 36's and 5.0L, it's a pretty decent setup but at times, it just isn't low enough. Especially if I ever want to bolt on some 38's. I've considered a 3:1 or 4:1 transfer case, but then it would be too low for the full throttle fun. My 5.0L just can't pull strong enough in high range. Overall, I'm happy with I have.

As for the higher gears in the front. I know some vehicles came from the factory that way. I think that was more a result of what ratios were available for various axles and acceptable tolerances vs an intentional engineering choice. I know this is/was popular in the mud drags. I believe it helped with steering. I don't think we'd ever generate enough wheel spin for it to have any positive effect, and could work against us in icy situations. Maybe someone out there that has some experience can chime in...
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

We are still working on the off grid place, it's a slow process but so far successfull because everything is still paid for. I'll post up on that thread soon.

In this part of MT there is a real urgency in the summer months to get everything done before the snow flies. Not very relaxing...
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

Well we got to run the 4.30 front 4.37 rear setup in a 4x4 trials competition with dirt, mud and rocks and in the very goopy mud on our property. It DEFINATELY plays in the mud. If you apply a bit of throttle when the rear end is out on a slick sidehill the whole truck immediately straitens out.

At the 4x4 trials (old school rock crawl comp) it did the same thing in the mud holes but we found another cool side effect we didn't expect: on very tight turns in dirt terrain it created an almost "front dig" effect and pivots you at full lock if you goose the throttle a bit while in the turn. This totally played on the trials course which has lots of tight switch back turns.

My wife took 5th out of 17 by the way and was beated only by 4 trailor queen, tube frame rock buggies. :D

My wife is hot!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

carefull on the pavement.. things go POP when you run different ratios

NOW TAKE PICS :cool:
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

n16ht5 wrote:carefull on the pavement.. things go POP when you run different ratios

NOW TAKE PICS :cool:
What pavement? :redneck:
inthmtns

Post by inthmtns »

It's about time to start planning our first Montana snow wheeling trip of the winter... Are you up for a late Nov/Dec ride?

Craig
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

inthmtns wrote:It's about time to start planning our first Montana snow wheeling trip of the winter... Are you up for a late Nov/Dec ride?

Craig
Yes indeed...

I need to get ahold of some fresh tires but keep me posted. We are in the middle of selling our house so probably into December will be more realistic for me but either way let me kow what you have planned and I will see if I can make it.