Fubars snow jeep build

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Fubar

Re: Fubars snow jeep build

Post by Fubar »

Not much to report lately.

Got the engine back from machining assembled as a short block. It took forever because I only threw money at it when I had it.

Started collecting pieces for my doubler and mocking up. Going to be an np241/205 all 32 spline.

Final ratio low low will be about 170:1

The tail shaft will be gone and front of trans. To rear of doubler will be about 3 ft. I'm going to try and get equal length front and rear drive shafts. ~5 ft each

And some inspiration

On a side note... This winter sucked for snow
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Good hear you're making progress. That's a great looking Jeep for some inspiration.

I can't believe how terrible this winter was! You didn't miss anything.
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Not a whole lot of Commando progress, but we just picked up a new Jeep for the wife. Make her happy to continue building the Jeepster :cool:
Attachments
jeep.jpg
christensent

Post by christensent »

Fubar wrote:Not a whole lot of Commando progress, but we just picked up a new Jeep for the wife. Make her happy to continue building the Jeepster :cool:
Well, with the worst el nino in recorded history forming for this winter, I don't think there's any rush :-(
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

The salmon area is great for snow wheeling. That's my area. Getting the itch already. 2-3 months will starting to see snow.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Scoobienorth wrote:The salmon area is great for snow wheeling. That's my area. Getting the itch already. 2-3 months will starting to see snow.
I will have to keep your name here for later, my folks have a cabin at blind bay 20 minutes past salmon... It would be awesome too meet up when the times right and wheel around with other guys
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Fubar wrote:
Scoobienorth wrote:The salmon area is great for snow wheeling. That's my area. Getting the itch already. 2-3 months will starting to see snow.
I will have to keep your name here for later, my folks have a cabin at blind bay 20 minutes past salmon... It would be awesome too meet up when the times right and wheel around with other guys
Ya for sure. I live in Enderby. About 10 mins to mt Ida. Always great for quick fix in the snow as its close by.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Got the bottom half of the engine wrapped up. Custom windage screen, new oil pump, gaskets, pan and timing set.
Also slid in a block heater while i had nice access.

Will be ordering engine quest heads, because it is cheaper than re-furbing my existing ones. Canada's crazy like that.

...just got to wait for that dollar to climb a little bit...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nice!
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Loaded the jeep up on a trailer and hauled it off to sand blast yesterday morning.
There was way more bondo and filler on the rear half than I expected. It looks like this thing rolled off a cliff.

Oh well what can you do.

The door jams (jambs?) , door bottoms, windshield, cowl and firewall are all in great condition though.
Which is nice.

The rear will mostly be cut apart anyways with the wheelbase stretch happening.

Here's a couple pictures.

Also plumbed hard line for my new compressor setup and plasma table arriving next month.

Going to be building some high quality junk up here in the white north.

Stay tuned.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

That doesn't look bad at all! Nice to see continued progress.
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

I'm looking at tires lately, since I will be building this thing mainly to accommodate large tires, axles and low gearing. I don't want a jacked up Florida mud truck look either, so I am going to be cutting metal... lots of it.

Does anyone have an opinion about the military take offs? The price point is about right. If i don't go military then I would probably have to be looking at used and something smaller sized.

46 /20R Goodyears :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-MILITARY-SURP ... xyOypSVxeK

I believe they are radials, they're band new and seem like a decent brand name.

I know they wouldn't be as good as say Iroks or some sticky compound, but I will be road driving this jeep & wearing away expensive tires.

I think a thorough sipe and mild groove job on something like this would go along way.

What do the experts think?
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Those military tires are super heavy and sidewalls super stiff. Need dual beadlocks and no air whatsoever at a minimum with heavy grooving and siping.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

That's what I figured really stiff. I have a pretty heavy drive train and axles... Maybe if I drive them around with 5 psi in the neighborhood for a week they will soften up.

I'm thinking they may not "bag out" when aired down as much but the shear size will still be benefitial.

And they are radials so perhaps they will loosen up.

What type of double bead locks would you suggest?. I'm not an expert in the beadlock realm just yet.
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Just found goodyears military tire site and if my eyes don't decieve me those tires are in excess of 200 pounds each. They are designed for 5 ton trucks. With no air in them i think you'd barely notice it. Caribou 6x6 in Quesnel bc can get those too and might save you a ton in shipping to retrieve those ones.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pd ... ochure.pdf
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I agree that they would be entirely too stiff, and they will never break in. I suspect whatever gains you get from the sheer size of the tire will be lost to the lack of traction. Personally, I'd try to stick with a load range C radial with 2 ply sidewall, even if it means a slightly smaller tire size.
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Did some work on the frame. Now I will be able to get the front axle positioned and do the body mounts and engine mounts/ positioning next!
Frenched the front leafs for added clearence and less hangups!

christensent

Post by christensent »

Just curious, why would take a vehicle down to the frame build level and leaf spring it rather than coil spring?
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

for steering simplicity and front end stability are my reasons.
There's plenty of very capable leaf 4x4s out there!

Maybe one day I will 3 or 4 link the front, but I want to put miles on this baby. I think the leafs will really have much better road manners for my circumstance.
And rod ends are $$.

funride

Post by funride »

there is something minimalistic and fine in it
Last edited by funride on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.