Fubars snow jeep build

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
n16ht5

Re: Fubars snow jeep build

Post by n16ht5 »

Those are awesome, should be a good build.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Thanks,
heres the actual land rover..
ive been cleaning it out over the last few days and man is it ever gross.

it sat abandon in a farmers field for at least 6 years. nasty mice & bird carcass, spiders and flies galore.

i wont even put it in the garage until its quarantined.

I had never used one of those tow bars behind the truck before but man do they ever work well.
backing ups a little more challenging though
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

update:

So I sold the land rover made some $$ on it and bought a 68 jeepster commando.

Yea the land rover just wasn't making me warm and tingly inside.

Also picked up a new tubing bender.

All the pieces are cut and cleaned for a new frame build.

The previous owners had welded complete junk to the stock frame and axles on the jeepster, so I would rather start at square one with it and not have any surprises in the future.

Pictures:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

More pictures
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Plans are for suspension have changed to 4 link rear with a stretch, and leafs up front out boarded on the frame for stability and to keep it lower.

Wheelbase will be about 112" (stock was 101") this will be to improve the departure angles.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Just catching up again... It looks like you'll do great work. Looking forward to seeing you finish something, anything! :finger: I like the commando's. :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
bobracing

Post by bobracing »

Wow, quit the run around.
One, think your making way more work for your self than needed. Snow is a game of traction, not really hp like sand, low gears and technique are your friends in snow. Not to say hp isn't needed sometimes but not as often and a 4cyl will work just fine.
if making a dedicated snow wheeler:
Keep it low, make the body fit the tires, cut cut cut.
Lockers, not limited slips but lockers. Selectables are nice but on a budget, lunch box locker in the front and welded in the rear works nice too.
You'll have to figure tires yourself but radials seem to work and MTR & Irocs seem to be favorites.
I haven't seen length be a real issue, the more serious guys I run are in the 86" range.
Autos, ask anyone about trans and everyone will be different, but I think the auto will allow more control between gas and brake foot dance. Again the more hard core guys I run with are about 42:1 but also have autos. (4.3 / 700r4 / 5.38s in flatfenders)
Get the shock mounts u-bolts and anything else up from under the axle.
Shave the 14b. The LS in the 14b is probably a gov-lok, never had problems with mine but some say it's only time before they blow???
A nice steal cage with some sort of cover. Al or steal will be fine but it will help stop "stuff" from coming thru in a rollover, or turn it into a great sled on the roof.
No top, bikini and wind jammer are great with a good heater. Less damage when sliding into a tree.
With the commando, rails down the top body edge in the rear, again less damage when sliding into a tree.
Outboarding will be nessary to mount the front D60 front but will also be a good idea on the rear.

This is just things I've picked up over the years, hope some help.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Thanks for the input guys.

yes i will go lunch box upfront with arb in the rear.

I wasn't able to out board the leafs in the front.. my frame happened to work out to be the same width as the d60 stock mounting locations. which is nice anyways.

I frenched the frame to get the ride height a bit lower and build some shackle hangers for some leftover 4" shackles i had.

(the pipes bottom half will be cut to allow the leaf eye to sit in there)

and yes i will be cutting the hell out of the body to get a flat belly and 40's shoved in there.

the drivetrain will be fairly high in the floor but im ok with that.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Looking great!
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

get to work, snows comin!
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Not much to report lately.

Got the engine back from machining assembled as a short block. It took forever because I only threw money at it when I had it.

Started collecting pieces for my doubler and mocking up. Going to be an np241/205 all 32 spline.

Final ratio low low will be about 170:1

The tail shaft will be gone and front of trans. To rear of doubler will be about 3 ft. I'm going to try and get equal length front and rear drive shafts. ~5 ft each

And some inspiration

On a side note... This winter sucked for snow
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Good hear you're making progress. That's a great looking Jeep for some inspiration.

I can't believe how terrible this winter was! You didn't miss anything.
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Not a whole lot of Commando progress, but we just picked up a new Jeep for the wife. Make her happy to continue building the Jeepster :cool:
Attachments
jeep.jpg
christensent

Post by christensent »

Fubar wrote:Not a whole lot of Commando progress, but we just picked up a new Jeep for the wife. Make her happy to continue building the Jeepster :cool:
Well, with the worst el nino in recorded history forming for this winter, I don't think there's any rush :-(
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

The salmon area is great for snow wheeling. That's my area. Getting the itch already. 2-3 months will starting to see snow.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Scoobienorth wrote:The salmon area is great for snow wheeling. That's my area. Getting the itch already. 2-3 months will starting to see snow.
I will have to keep your name here for later, my folks have a cabin at blind bay 20 minutes past salmon... It would be awesome too meet up when the times right and wheel around with other guys
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Fubar wrote:
Scoobienorth wrote:The salmon area is great for snow wheeling. That's my area. Getting the itch already. 2-3 months will starting to see snow.
I will have to keep your name here for later, my folks have a cabin at blind bay 20 minutes past salmon... It would be awesome too meet up when the times right and wheel around with other guys
Ya for sure. I live in Enderby. About 10 mins to mt Ida. Always great for quick fix in the snow as its close by.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Got the bottom half of the engine wrapped up. Custom windage screen, new oil pump, gaskets, pan and timing set.
Also slid in a block heater while i had nice access.

Will be ordering engine quest heads, because it is cheaper than re-furbing my existing ones. Canada's crazy like that.

...just got to wait for that dollar to climb a little bit...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nice!
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Loaded the jeep up on a trailer and hauled it off to sand blast yesterday morning.
There was way more bondo and filler on the rear half than I expected. It looks like this thing rolled off a cliff.

Oh well what can you do.

The door jams (jambs?) , door bottoms, windshield, cowl and firewall are all in great condition though.
Which is nice.

The rear will mostly be cut apart anyways with the wheelbase stretch happening.

Here's a couple pictures.

Also plumbed hard line for my new compressor setup and plasma table arriving next month.

Going to be building some high quality junk up here in the white north.

Stay tuned.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image2.JPG