1987 4runner SAS

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
EBSTEVE

Re: 1987 4runner SAS

Post by EBSTEVE »

KS4runner wrote:Haha yes, easy but none the less it's certs! Anyway, I have factory AC because I have an SR5, so the AC pump is already there, and I've seen my buddies do it to their Toyota AC so I know how to do it I just didn't know whether it was worth it
I think it would be worth it, unless the ac works and you want to keep it. It will probably be slower than a York but faster than an electric setup and it won't run out like a tank. I don't know how well the Toyota pumps hold up but if you search I am sure there is a ton of info on the interweb and you can probably pick up spares for cheap.

Not trying to dog you for the certs, my pipe cert alone makes me enough money to be worth it.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

It's absolutely worth it. I've run several different types of a/c pumps for OBA over the last 20 years, and they all worked just fine. One of my all time favorite mods.
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

i think its a york 210. theres a whole list of donor vehicles if you do a little digging on google.

mine was from a 70s e350 econoline van or somthing. i payed 40 bucks and bought some gasket material and rebuilt it.

i also modified the air out put pick up tube so that i doesnt pump any oil. just air.

Dont think your stock ac pump will be any good.
the yorks are special b/c of the unique oil sump they have built in, that will keep the air seperated from the oil. like an air compressor pump.

most stock ac units just used the coolant as a lubrication method and dont have an actual oil reservoir.

Its crazy in the USA each state has their own welding institutions and certs. in Canada there are specific CWB structural certs that anyone can practice and get, but if you want to be a 'welder' you have to do a 4 year apprenticeship program. like correspondence through a company. then you are certified all across Canada. - makes more sense to me this way. im a welder also

edit:
the benefit of the stock ac on your toyota would be taking it off and reusing the mounting location in some way.
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Well guys today was the first run of the season, I got up to 2 feet of awesome powder with a compactible base up tonga ridge. We got up to 5500' and it was snowing the entire time, hard. And the snow was absolutely perfect. I put the runner in a ditch purposely where my group was stopped to show off (I was hoping) rather than getting stuck like a fool and have to have someone pull me out, well those kevlar mtr/r's are amazing in the snow and I went from 3rd gear grabbed 2nd and punched it and it just pulled right back out as the tires are slinging huge snow roost all up the sides and back and my group was thoroughly impressed and laughing hard after I was out and stopped haha. Here's some pics of the run. And I winched out my buddies '78 f250 with a 6" lift and 35's out of the ditch right before his driver axle shaft came out and we had to do a trail repair. Oh well great times !
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Here's some of the pics !
Attachments
Great snow and I can't rave enough about the tires! I wasn't even aired down, full 35 psi!
Great snow and I can't rave enough about the tires! I wasn't even aired down, full 35 psi!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nice! Fair amount of snow. The big dump should be in the next couple of weeks.
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Yeah I can't wait I'm ready to get back up there again, it was a great time I was so proud of the runner! So far it was the best snow wheeling I've done so far, Open diffs weren't that bad but a front locker would be nice for the right situation.
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

Nice 4Runner!

You will love the MTRs, I am finishing off a set right now. They were really great in the snow at 4 psi.

On the lockers, don't even think about it, just get some kind of lockers.

As far as the birfs, you are right on the line of durability with stock birfs and 35s but in the snow you have alot of cusion. Just don't sit and spin at full lock and you should be OK. That being said stock birfs can be had for like $20 each so breaking one is not the end of the world :).

I have been running on some of the old style moderately improved 27 spline birfs Marlin Crawler used to sell with the extra ring welded on the bell and heat treating with no breakage for about 10 years and that's with a 3RZ swap (150 horse whoohoo), 35s and 4.7 crawler gears. These can be had pretty cheap and they are a good upgrade. Longfields are probably your best bet.

The thing I love most about the old school 4runner is the removable hard top.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

sweet! get some aussie lockers and you are good to go. I run open front still, but I have 5.29s and lockers set up in my shop, just been too busy to put them in

I converted my AC to OBA.. been doing it on every rig I have had.. I put a fuel filter on the inlet and squirt oil into it after each snow run to keep it lubed up.
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Thanks you guys! Glad you dig my runner. It's a killer rig, and yes I LOVE the removable hardtop. It's so nice being able to haul 5 people when I want to and then fold the seats down and throw dirtbikes in the back with the rollbar and top off. But I really need to get on this gear and locker situation, if ANYONE is selling 5.29's In 3rd members please let me know. I'm not picky, open, locked, just no welded haha. I'm going back up to tonga on Friday should be even more snow and this time I may have to air down, but at any rate those mt/r's really rock and I'm so glad I bought them, perfect blend between a streetable tire and more than anything a great offroad performer. Mud and snow both. So yeah I guess I will tap into my AC pump, and go ahead and do the OBA off that and them I guess just bring my portable air tank to fill up rather than directly off the pump is that right ?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

You can fill up directly off the pump. To get started, you can get a free flowing air chuck and hook your hose directly to the pump and run it without a tank. Just be sure the system is free flowing so no pressure builds up. So you put a MALE quick connect fitting on the pump, to the FEMALE on the hose, to the FREE FLOW air chuck on the other end of the hose. You'll need to bypass the low pressure cutout on the a/c system. Then when turn on the A/C air blows out the chuck. Then you can piece together your tank system with filters, pop off valve, gauges, etc.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

I dont run a tank, they don't do anything for you if you are just filling tires.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

n16ht5 wrote:I dont run a tank, they don't do anything for you if you are just filling tires.
I agree if you are just filling a rire but I blow tires all the way off of wheels. The tank at 145psi makes seating the bead much easier.
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Okay good to know, but heres my catch 22. I have a perfectly good AC system, that i run FULL time, because its a condenser, therefore draws all moisture and everything out of the cab constantly and keeps it nice and fresh inside and i never have fogged windows, or very little anyway. SO is there a way to quickly revert back and forth between functional AC and OBA without a hassle or is this a one way street? That's kind of my determining factor..
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

It's a one way street. But since you're a fabricator, you should be able to fab up a bracket for a second pump. I made my own bracket for my 5.0L. I'm not even certified :eek: . If you can't manage a second pump, there are other options. If you want to be serious about snow wheeling, you're going to need air of some kind.

WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Sheeeeet... Well I don't really think I've got the space for pump #2 is my issue. I'm just not willing to give up my AC for that setup as appealing as it is. Maybe I'll just get a co2 comp tank.... :/ haha so the bashing continues! Oh well haha. I'm more worried about 5.29 gears before I worry about the smaller things yet though !