3rd Gen 4Runner on 35" PBRs - Where to go wheeling?

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Kurtis

3rd Gen 4Runner on 35" PBRs - Where to go wheeling?

Post by Kurtis »

Hey Guys. New to this forums. LOVE to snow wheel. I have a '97 Toyota 4Runner on 35" Pitbull Rockers on Hutchinson double bead locks. The wheels and tires are new this summer so I haven't snow wheeled it in this condition yet. Build thread can be found here: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t ... hread.html Anyway, hows about some photos:

Last year:

Previous rig:

So, from December 2009 until May this year we lived in Sultan. Tons of opportunity to go snow wheeling. Tonga, Beckler River Road, Green Mountain, Olney Pass when the snow level comes down... We had to move to Oak Harbor for my work and we don't want to drive 2.5 hrs to play in snow. Where is the nearest place to go snow wheelin'?
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 3rd Gen 4Runner on 35" PBRs - Where to go wheeling?

Post by Nobody »

Welcome to forum! I think you're in for a drive no matter what. There isn't really any good high elevation roads that are close. Everything near the valley tops out around 4,200'. You're pretty much stuck heading down to Stevens or up to Baker. I usually wait for the big dumps at lower elevation, then hit it! You were spoiled in Sultan :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Youre welcome to wheel with my near Darrington.. plenty of snow there all winter. Nice looking 4runner
Kurtis

Post by Kurtis »

Thanks for the complement. Might have to take you up on your snow wheeling offer. I was hoping there would be more places to going snow wheeling around highway 20. Maybe east of Mount Vernon? I know there is a couple side roads going toward Baker Ski Resort and some on your way out to Baker Lake. Might have to check those out.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Walker Valley is probably the closest thing, but you have to wait for the snow level to drop. There are some good spots out the Mt. Baker highway. I like to get up there from time to time.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

lots of places.. I am mostly familiar with HW530 though. I can get you up high if you want to go this weekend.. hopefully its not gated still
Kurtis

Post by Kurtis »

n16ht5 wrote:lots of places.. I am mostly familiar with HW530 though. I can get you up high if you want to go this weekend.. hopefully its not gated still
Didn't see this until tonight. I went up earlier today. Some snow patches at 3200' and snow on the ground at 4000'. We made it up to 5100'. There was about 2 feet of snow give or take. Went up to Twin Lakes on the north side of HW 542. Pulled out a couple folks. 2.5 hr drive home blows.

My photography skills are terrible and my camera is junk. :finger: :finger:
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nice to see you found some snow. You should try the drive home in a barn door, I mean Bronco.

My camera is a 3.3MP from 2001 :eek:
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

dang, looked like you had fun... give me a call next weekend
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

So I take it the pit bulls work pretty well in the snow?
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Kurtis

Post by Kurtis »

H8PVMNT wrote:So I take it the pit bulls work pretty well in the snow?
I dig 'em. I've heard Iroks are still better but I have no complains about PBR so far. I really like them. I have a run coming up early next month with some friends. I'd have to see how it fairs when next to some other rigs.