Thanksgiving Weekend?

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Srgould41

Thanksgiving Weekend?

Post by Srgould41 »

I should be completing my front locker install on my FJ40 this weekend and looking forward to testing it out. It will be nice to be locked at both ends finally. Any trips planned for next weekend?
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Thanksgiving Weekend?

Post by Nobody »

We'll have guests from out of town. I might try to slip out on Friday, but at this point the weather isn't looking too good. No snow anywhere in sight :frown: I think last weekend was the best chance for November Snow Wheeling.

What kind of locker did you get? Doing the install yourself?
WINTER IS HERE
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

It figures... That has been my luck with snow the past 2 years.

I am using Aussie lockers front and rear and doing the installs myself. No gear setups with Aussies. Not as good as using ARB's, but at $250 each with me doing the work compared to around $1,400 (incl. installation, compressor, etc.) each for ARB's it was an easy choice. I have run a rear Aussie for almost 4 years now without issue.

My next mod is TBI. I bet the best snow will come down while I am doing the work and can't get out. You can mark your calendar for it! :tongue:
Nobody wrote:We'll have guests from out of town. I might try to slip out on Friday, but at this point the weather isn't looking too good. No snow anywhere in sight :frown: I think last weekend was the best chance for November Snow Wheeling.

What kind of locker did you get? Doing the install yourself?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

You're supposed to do this stuff in the summer! I expect a pretty good dump once this high pressure system moves out. It's always hard to schedule snow runs. I prefer to just be ready and drop everything when conditions are good. New Years is the run I do regardless of conditions. Last year wasn't so good.

On the locker, I'd recommend installing new thrust washers with it.
WINTER IS HERE
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

I didn't need new washers for the rear. The existing ones were well within tolerances. The front should be good since it doesn't get a lot of use. I won't know until I get it apart on Saturday.