Do big lugs really help?

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Fubar

Re: Do big lugs really help?

Post by Fubar »

What would you recommend for the dry Icy crystal type snow in a 38-42 size?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Fubar wrote:What would you recommend for the dry Icy crystal type snow in a 38-42 size?
A snowcat. That surgar snow is seriously nasty stuff.

I'm not sure there is any good tire for those conditions, but if I had to choose, I'd go for a less aggressive tire with tighter voids. I suspect the The Artic Trucks guys are primarily in those conditions. They run Dick Cepek tires, and created their own Arctic Truck AT405 tire.

http://www.arctictrucks.com/?pageid=1296&categoryid=208

AT405

Dick Cepek
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Hmm going to have to do more research but that's basically the only kind we get here, except for when it's melting in spring
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Keep in mind, tires are only part of the puzzle. Driving technique, and a very gentle drivetrain will help tremendously. A lot of times the conditions that cause the surgar snow also produce a solid crust that you can get on top of. Then it's all about taking it easy.
WINTER IS HERE
funride

Post by funride »

What do you think of Maxxis M8080 Mudzilla 37x13.5 R15?

I don't know if I need that much on a vehicle with total weight about 4000lb.
I thought of BFGoodrich MUD-TERRAIN KM2 35x12,50R15, but people here say that with our cold (down to -40C, and -20C or 0F is common) BF Goodrich KM2 even rolls not smooth after staying for some time before it gets warmer.

Speaking of AT405... Arctic Trucks guys do not sell it. Here, it is only possible to buy some with non-existing letter which indicates its speed rate, i.e. not genuine tyre.

I would buy BF Goodrich MT for its robustness versus asphalt, and it's cheaper...
Can you say, does BF Goodrich MT KM2 have winter index (this one is for road patrols)?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

funride wrote:What do you think of Maxxis M8080 Mudzilla 37x13.5 R15?
http://www.extremetyre.ru/pic/t/ta7005_b.jpg

I don't know if I need that much on a vehicle with total weight about 4000lb.
I thought of BFGoodrich MUD-TERRAIN KM2 35x12,50R15, but people here say that with our cold (down to -40C, and -20C or 0F is common) BF Goodrich KM2 even rolls not smooth after staying for some time before it gets warmer.
http://www.extremetyre.ru/pic/models/tyre/normal/75.jpg

Speaking of AT405... Arctic Trucks guys do not sell it. Here, it is only possible to buy some with non-existing letter which indicates its speed rate, i.e. not genuine tyre.

I would buy BF Goodrich MT for its robustness versus asphalt, and it's cheaper...
Can you say, does BF Goodrich MT KM2 have winter index (this one is for road patrols)?
I'm not familiar with the Maxxis M8080 Mudzilla. It doesn't appear to be sold in the US. Are you sure it's available in a Radial? Everything I'm seeing seems to only show Bias ply, which I wouldn't recommend. I didn't have much luck navigating www.extremetyre.ru, but this site only shows bias ply options.

http://www.maxxistyres.com.au/tyredetai ... d=18&cat=4

On the BFG MT KM2, I have one friend that runs them. He only made it out with us on this one run last season. The snow was terrible, and everyone was having problems. That said, I don't think he was doing as well as us. I think the 3 ply sidewall on the BFG KM2 is a little stiff compared the 2 ply sidewall on my tires. I suspect a tire with a 2ply sidewall would run smoother in the extreme cold conditions too.

The Winter Index is something you need for inspections by Police?

The BFG website lists the KM2 as an all season tire.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... re-details

I listed the AT405 above something to compare other tires to. We can't get them either.

Welcome to the forum. I'd love to see some snow wheeling pictures from your part of the world.
WINTER IS HERE
funride

Post by funride »

----
Last edited by funride on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baller

Post by Baller »

What we need are a full scale set of these tires. :D

Baller

'85 Toyota
'69 Bronco
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Lol, I remember those.