On Board Air today !!

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
KS4runner

On Board Air today !!

Post by KS4runner »

So I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull apart my AC compressor today, and do the conversion to OBA. One of my friends told me his dad used to be able to convert back and forth his compressor between AC and OBA on his Toyota, he would just have to recharge it with freon. Is this do able? At any rate I'm going to convert mine and then maybe go buy another one to put back to AC usage. So please tell me what I'm disconnecting from this and what happens to the freon gas? Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with. Please elaborate !
Attachments
Two lines into the firewall
Two lines into the firewall
image.jpg
Two little black knobs and two lines on the compressor that run to the firewall.
Two little black knobs and two lines on the compressor that run to the firewall.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: On Board Air today !!

Post by Nobody »

It really is a one way conversion. Once you discharge the system, the seals in the rest of the system will dry out and you'll never get it to stay pressurized again. It would also be costly to recharge, and I suspect there would be contamination from the pump that would screw things up. All guesses on my part. Never heard of anyone trying it.

Really the only thing you need to do is disconnect the lines on the pump. Bypass the low pressure cutout switch and turn on the pump. Expect it to blow a lot of oil at first. So either have a hose hooked up or cover the discharge port with a rag or something.
WINTER IS HERE
bobracing

Post by bobracing »

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Heh... That's something I haven't seen.
WINTER IS HERE