LONG day..

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
KS4runner

LONG day..

Post by KS4runner »

I have been in the shop since 11 am yesterday having a good old time putting a new clutch in the runner, not a bad run on that one. It was nice to be able to take it for a good rip in the snow too after I pulled it out! Floor jack couldn't reach high enough to get to the trans so like any snow wheeler I dumped the air in my tires to lose about 10" of height off my truck haha. Jack worked just fine after that adjustment. Ready for snow wheeling later today... As it's 3am.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: LONG day..

Post by Nobody »

I like your tires ;) Cute clutch :finger:
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Hahahaha look familiar ;) ? And I have a killer review for these TSL's having run the almighty kevlars vs these and I kid you not, these trump kevlars. In practically every respect, balance, noise, driving comfort, and the snow today. I never aired down at all, I just ran 30 psi and was pulling through 2.5 feet of powder in ditches and cutting through snow banks like nothing was there!! Thes tires are amazing, and I thought the kevlars were the best thing since sliced bread but wow.. I was in a for a very pleasant surprise. I am so glad I bought these. Narrowness of them aside, I actually really like the narrower look and functionality of them!
Attachments
Winched that out of an embankment this morning!
Winched that out of an embankment this morning!
Up at tonga, winched out a ram charger and a friends Toyota 3 times, I really tried to auger these things into the ground at 30 psi and I truly could not bury it, I even did 2wd digs to bury my tires for winching my friend out and my truck came right back out of the holes, no problems.
Up at tonga, winched out a ram charger and a friends Toyota 3 times, I really tried to auger these things into the ground at 30 psi and I truly could not bury it, I even did 2wd digs to bury my tires for winching my friend out and my truck came right back out of the holes, no problems.
On the way back down
On the way back down
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Tires look great! Nice to hear they perform well compared to other tires... Of course I knew that. Wait till you actually air down. You didn't do the OBA conversion?

You really shouldn't need to run more than 25psi on the street, you'll blow the centers out.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

glad to see you got out to play. swampers are good stuff
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

By blow them out you mean wear out all the center lugs and have just big shoulder lugs left or literally blow out..? I'm expecting some killer snow this weekend judging by the forecast for the week in the mountains! And yes I was very very pleased with how these things have done! I already and have 2,000 miles on them and they have worn much better in the first 2,000 than my kevlars did, they had alot of checking and kind of odd cracking toward the front of the center lugs, and these don't even have cornering wear or anything, so I'm pretty sold. How much mileage would be compromised running at 25psi from 30 though ?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

If you run too much air pressure, you will prematurely wear out the center lugs of the tire. Realistically, the ideal pressure is probably closer to 20-22. If I'm plan on doing a lot of freeway miles, I'll run 28F/26R just to squeeze out a little better fuel mileage.

The ideal pressure is determined by the load on the tire. To determine the best pressure for your vehicle, draw a chalk line across the tread and then drive a short distance in a straight line. The line should wear off evenly across the tread. Adjust pressure as needed.

BTW, if you're not airing down, you're not snow wheeling :finger: And yes, I think we're finally going to get some decent accumulation :D :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Well I'm hoping to just get 10" wide wheels to stop that from happening even though I know my 8" wide wheels are most effective for airing down.. But with the amount of road driving I do it's worth my while, but hey if I don't absolutely HAVE to air down to make it through the snow, I don't worry about it cause no I never did the on board air unfortunately because I didnt want to lose my A/C... So I just haven't gotten around to figuring out another solution. Cannot wait for the weekend snow because the TSL's will be FULLY siped !! I'm very interested to see if there's a significant increase in performance !
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

get the harbor freight $60 12v pump. I have that in my wifes car, it works well enough.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Going to 10" wheels isn't going to help if you're running too much air. I'd keep the 8" wheels.
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

I agree, based on prior experience with skinny swampers, keep them on the 8" wheels.
I have ran 32" radials and 34" bias TSLs in the past and flat footprint/highway pressure was around 21 psi for both of those. Of course I ran more psi for long highway but that is the pressure where you get a flat footprint.

Now I really want a set of these though...
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Ahhhh, okay good to know. Well I've got a buddy that will trade straight across his 10's for my 8's, so I still dont know whether I want to do it or not, i really like my 8's, i just really have been wanting to flatten out the contact patch without losing mileage from running lower psi is all. And as far as a quick simple OBA fix i think i will go get a cheaper electric pump and let it be what it is, maybe at least run it to a tank under my bed though cause thats easy and i want a couple train horns since my air horns aren't loud enough ;)
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

You've got to be realistic. You're going to prematurely wear out a set of $1,200 tires to save few gallons of gas on the highway, only to go four wheeling with the throttle pinned everywhere you go. Here's a hint, get a commuter car ;).
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Okay okay I'll drop them to see what gets me a flatter contact area, and yes I'd much rather save my tires than ruin them over fuel mileage haha.