2-16-2014, Tonga Ridge

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 2-16-2014, Tonga Ridge

Post by Nobody »

What you're describing almost sounds like mild death wobble, which is pretty much always due to worn parts, often a combination of multiple worn parts. A little bit of slop from many parts adds up. By going to wider wheels, you're just putting more leverage on everything. Another possibility could be a little bit of bump steer, but your drag link angle appears to be ok, so that's probably not it. Have someone rock your steering wheel back and forth while you watch for slop. Jack up each tire and check for bearing or king pin slop.
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Re: 2-16-2014, Tonga Ridge

Post by KS4runner »

Okay well i will list out the onky steering parts i have and give you a run down on it all!l I know for a fact that my steering box is perfectly fine, besides the 1/16th inch I play it is supposed to have there's nothing there, and ALL my suspension and steering parts are brand new from when I straight axled this thing in the summer and I highly doubt they have all worn out over 8,000 miles haha. I stripped the entire axle of all it's original parts and had it sandblasted And when I got it back I fully rebuilt it with all factory Toyota parts. So it has brand new trunion bearings which are toyotas equivalent to a Typical open knuckle with kingpins (like Dana axles), but ours are closed knuckle, and those are always full of grease because I pack my knuckles once a week so there's no way those are worn out, and besides that with my high steer crossover steering setup it has a lot of leverage to turn big tires because of it's fulcrum points, but that's a double edge sword, lots of leverage on the steering wheel also means a lot of leverage for the tires to push back, so I'm pretty sure it's just the tire/ wheel combo giving me grief because there shouldn't be any reason for anything to wear out that quick especially with all brand new high quality parts you know? Do you agree?