More traction, Opinions please...!

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
KS4runner

More traction, Opinions please...!

Post by KS4runner »

So as you guys know I've got a Detroit locker in the rear and open front as of right now. I'm perfectly happy with my stock T case, have no desire to ever do duals. Seems kind of unnecessary for snow wheeling in my opinion, but I am considering a front end traction device. Give your opinion please I'm very interested to know what everyone's experience may be and if you can lead me in the right direction for what makes sense for my application. That being deep snow wheeling, any conditions as long as it's there haha. Really want to be able to continue use of 4 high on the road when it's slick out and I want to cruise, and don't want to have the constant concern of breaking birfields. So thoughts on Detroit truetrac or comparable limited slips? Or a real locker ? Or just leave the front open? Interested on the input!
KS4runner

Re: More traction, Opinions please...!

Post by KS4runner »

By the way the sun was great last week for topless weather
Attachments
image.jpg
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

I run a lunchbox locker, works well. Seems to do ok on the roads
FUNRUNNER

Post by FUNRUNNER »

I run arb's in both ends. With any hard locker or limited slip you will loose driveability while on the throttle. Only choices I know of are arb or e-locker. If I had it to do over again i would run the e-lockers for simplicity reasons. I originally had a lunchbox locker in the front but didn't like the noise out wheeling when it would engage and disengage.
1985 4runner
3.4 v-6
york oba
35" goodyears
arb's front and rear
dirty 30 front axles
duel transfer case
multi mount winch
bobracing

Post by bobracing »

Selectable of some flavor, be it e-locker, arb, or zip would be the best idea.
I believe the tru-trac would be a nice compromise too, TT work well in the snow, a little brake pressure help them trick them into be more lockerish.
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Well I think I'll give the limited slip a shot because the arb's are great and all but I don't really have the necessity to go all in to that point. But if I drive into a ditch snow wheeling of like to see if it can pull itself out a little better. I know about the brake biasing to try and get the LSD to lock up but of I go into a ditch is it gonna act like an open diff or will it keep locked in ?