Event: New Years 2015 Hangover Run (Washington)

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Event: New Years 2015 Hangover Run (Washington)

Post by Nobody »

Steve and I are going snow wheeling out by Darrington somewhere New Years day. We'll probably be meeting in town at 9am. There isn't a lot of snow right now, and what snow there is may have turned to sugar with all this cold we've had. But at least there is some snow this year.

We'll really be winging it this year. With the late start to the season, I have no idea what's open. I'm sure we can find some snow somewhere though.

This is a very unofficial run. Anyone is welcome to come along with the understanding that this is not a newbie run and we are not there to babysit. We of course always look out for one another, but I don't want to spend all day helping someone that refuses to let the air out of their tires.

If you 100% want to join us, and know you can get out of bed on time, post up. I'll confirm details tomorrow evening.

I haven't really had a chance to look at the maps, so I'm open to suggestions as well.
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Event: New Years 2015 Hangover Run (Washington)

Post by Nobody »

Ok, doesn't look like we've got anyone going. If you're in the d-town area give a holler. I'll be on cb & fm radio channel 4. We'll be stopping at the gas station in darrington briefly around 9am and figuring out where to go from there.

I'll check in here a few times this evening and in the morning when I get up. Otherwise, be safe and have a happy new year!
WINTER IS HERE
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I have a few more pictures and a bunch of video that I will get to later but here is one from about the end of the day.
Attachments
20150101 048_stitch2.jpg
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

http://youtu.be/UA3SNYBKF6U

I can not ever seem to get the youtube video function to work...

You have to use the long URL format between the youtube tags. Make sure the url starts with "http://" and "not https://"

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA3SNYBKF6U
Great video :laugh: . I saw it happen in my mirror. Good thing that Subaru was there to pull you back :finger:

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

We covered a lot of ground looking for something new and exciting. All in all, it was long day with a lot of driving, but it was good to be out!

Plan A was a bust and tank trapped just where the snow was starting. Plan B road was half gone with a giant root ball on the remaining road. We decided it wasn't worth the effort to clear for an unknown payoff.

Since we were in the area we bombed over Rat Trap Pass.

Had lunch at the top of Rat Trap Pass

Stopped just shy of a nice hole!

On to plan D, E, F... Came across this kid. He said the group he was with left him. What should have taken 2 seconds to get him back on the road took forever due to the ice and his craptacular Cherokee. He was bit out of his element for sure.

Hey what's that down there?

Yep a jeep...

Finally got up to some serious sugar snow. Had to take it super easy and idle along

Running out of daylight so we called it a day

Another stuck vehicle. They just got out after we pulled up. The one car had to back down to a turn around spot.

Photo Gallery: http://www.snowtrek.org/hangover-run-20 ... n-2015.php

Have some video too but I haven't gone through it yet.
WINTER IS HERE
Chris Immer

Post by Chris Immer »

Great pics. Glad you guys had a good time.
Kurtis

Post by Kurtis »

EBSTEVE wrote:http://youtu.be/UA3SNYBKF6U

I can not ever seem to get the youtube video function to work...

You have to use the long URL format between the youtube tags. Make sure the url starts with "http://" and "not https://"

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA3SNYBKF6U
Great video :laugh: . I saw it happen in my mirror. Good thing that Subaru was there to pull you back :finger:

I dig the video and the angle. Are you using a Go Pro to shoot? If so, which one?
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

Kurtis wrote:
I dig the video and the angle. Are you using a Go Pro to shoot? If so, which one?
Thanks for the complement.
Yes it's a Gopro, not the latest or greatest just a "hero 2". I don't think the new ones have enough "new" to justify upgrading, although a bit smaller would be cool. If I was looking to buy one on a budget I would not hesitate to buy an older used one.
Kurtis

Post by Kurtis »

EBSTEVE wrote:
Kurtis wrote:
Thanks for the complement.
Yes it's a Gopro, not the latest or greatest just a "hero 2". I don't think the new ones have enough "new" to justify upgrading, although a bit smaller would be cool. If I was looking to buy one on a budget I would not hesitate to buy an older used one.
Ive been thinking about buying one myself. I use some old water, sand, snow, Kurtis proof camera. I won it at a Christmas party a few years ago so I can complain too much. Amazon has Go Pro Heros for $130. Wife says Ive bought enough stuff for the truck lately though...
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Did you get my text??? I didn't know you were going, never heard back from you either. Nice pics, looks like Rat Trap pass... then Segelson?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

n16ht5 wrote:Did you get my text??? I didn't know you were going, never heard back from you either. Nice pics, looks like Rat Trap pass... then Segelson?
I just have a dumb flip phone without a texting plan, so I don't text. I did get your text on it. I sent you an email since I get charged for texts... Email is generally best for me. Yeah, we ended up slumming with the local wildlife on segelsen :redneck:
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

shoot call me next time, never got an email.. we drove up to cascade river rd but it was gated w six inches of snow on the road :(. I don't have a texting plan either so I use a google voice number its free
christensent

Post by christensent »

n16ht5 wrote:shoot call me next time, never got an email.. we drove up to cascade river rd but it was gated w six inches of snow on the road :(. I don't have a texting plan either so I use a google voice number its free
Was it gated at milepost 21 as the NPS website suggests? Or did it get closed further back now? Was hoping to go climbing up there one of these weeks.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

n16ht5 wrote:shoot call me next time, never got an email.. we drove up to cascade river rd but it was gated w six inches of snow on the road :(. I don't have a texting plan either so I use a google voice number its free
I sent via the forum, probably went to your spam folder.

Does it typically get gated in winter?
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:Does it typically get gated in winter?
It closes at mile 21 every winter, not sure before that which is why I'm wondering where it was closed. There's not much documentation on later in the winter since the number of people in the mountaineering and snow wheeling community is very close to zero. Some of the most beautiful climbing in the state up there.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

With about 4 feet of snow, What gate? :confused: :D
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

gated at the eldorado trailhead with 6" of snow.. pathetic. We were hoping it was gated at the last gate 1.5mi from the end so we could go up to the end, but 3mi with a newborn in the snow is not going to happen. if we ever get any more snow I'll be sled skiing up there though.. gates are no issue for snowbike :)