Snow Saturday

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

Snow Saturday

Post by christensent »

Anyone want to go try to find some snow to wheel tomorrow? Thinking Van Epps Pass might be fun to try. Might satisfy the need to bury vehicles in snow at 6000ft.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow Saturday

Post by Nobody »

Van Epps Pass is a new one to me. I had to look it up. Looks like some beautiful country. Out of range for me right now, but I sure would like to see a trip report!
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Despite the forest service saying the road is open except April 1-June 15, the Mt. Daniel road is a groomed snowmobile trail so that failed. Every forest road out in Salmon La Sac area is either a snowmobile trail or posted no motorized vehicles.

Then I went to the Teanaway area, went up a forest road for a ways but only got to about 3000ft on a few inches of snow, every turn off I saw on the map to go higher was either gated or closed to motorized vehicles.

Couldn't motivate yet another day hike in this year's special characteristic flavor of foot-of-slushy-wet-snow-in-a-downpour, so I did a run up Hyak on the way home. Surprised to see that nobody's been up there in quite a while, went 90% of the way, didn't want to finish the last part since I know there's a slide spot with no winch points right before the end. Surface is 6-12" of snow on a foot or two of hard pack occasionally breaking through.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Good to see you made it out. Thanks for the trip report! Hopefully we'll get some snow again this winter.

I know how frustrating it can be finding an place that's open. I fully understand the need to limit user conflict among the various outdoor enthusiasts, but it seems four wheelers are the only group that get outright denied access everywhere. Ironically, driving on a snow covered road is about the least impact we could hope to have, and yet that's when we're denied access!
WINTER IS HERE