Snow Wheeling Weight Distribution

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

Snow Wheeling Weight Distribution

Post by christensent »

In general lighter weight is better for deep snow... but is there ever a time when a bit more weight in the back is better? Not for traction, but to keep the angle of attack of the vehicle from sinking. I would think maybe the rear end sinking in a bit would actually help to be able to get the vehicle in an outward trajectory rather than a downward trajectory due to being front heavy.

Obviously the ideal solution is lightening the front, but given that you can't exactly remove the engine, can a heavy rear bumper actually help in deep snow?
Fubar

Re: Snow Wheeling Weight Distribution

Post by Fubar »

I doubt it would help because the rear wheels are following in the front wheels path so they would be down in the rut in line with the front wheels ... no?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I'm going with sometimes for traction, but it really depends on the situation and type of snow. Around here, we're typically climbing a mountain road. After the first pass in virgin snow, you're essentially driving on compacted snow of varying degrees. Having that weight on the rear tires helps on those steep slick climbs. I wouldn't purposely add weight though, as it will hurt you in other situations.

Given a choice, I'd go for as well balanced as possible. My Bronco is pretty nose heavy and I do notice a difference compared to my old V8 Bronco II which was balanced a little better.

Bottom line I think it'd take a crap load of rear weight to lighten the front end.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Mostly wondering how bad of a decision the 190 pound rear bumper was... was great in Moab but thinking it won't be so great in the snow
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

christensent wrote:Mostly wondering how bad of a decision the 190 pound rear bumper was... was great in Moab but thinking it won't be so great in the snow
It's nothing to worry about. It all does add up though. Spare tire, hi-lift jack, full tank of gas, chainsaw, tools, etc. I leave my hard top off in the winter to save some weight, but I almost always carry a spare and I try to keep my tank as full as possible.

For a dedicated snow wheeler, yeah you'd probably want to save every pound you can. I consider my Bronco to be an all-purpose wheeler. I'd do a lot of things different on a dedicated snow wheeler.

If you're in a group, usually you can get a lighter vehicle up front to break trail, then the heavier vehicles can follow along pretty easily.
WINTER IS HERE