Snow wheeling gear

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Scoobienorth

Snow wheeling gear

Post by Scoobienorth »

Just curious as to what you guys pack for jacks and such. Normally all I have is my jack all. Was wondering if anyone used those inflatable jacks in the snow as it be easier than trying to find a solid base, might just lift?

Also wondering if anyone packed stuff like the tred boards or sand ladder type stuff to help get floatation if you've sunk yourself?
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow wheeling gear

Post by Nobody »

I always carry my hi-lift. They make a nice base for a hi-lift jack that works pretty well. I wouldn't mind picking one up at some point. Usually you can find something to put under jack in a pinch though.

One of the single most important pieces of gear you can carry is a real snow shovel. When pulling with a strap fails, and winches stall, shoveling has always worked. Shoveling is usually my first choice. I can usually easily dig out in a few minutes. We've been in some really sticky situations where winching and pulling were not even an option. Shovels saved the day every time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VE ... T55UGWSO4D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042 ... HLO54JSA3W

Regarding inflatable jacks, I think it's pretty safe to assume that you'll be digging anyway to get it setup where it's needed. The same would go for any type of tread boards. With the hi-lift, you jam it under the bumper and start jacking.
WINTER IS HERE
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

When I broke my axle last year I had a fight getting turned around. I couldn't get enough height from my 4 foot Jackall to get my tires off the ground as I'm fairly flexy and on top of the snow. I tried using my spare tire for a base but it kept tilting the wrong way and couldn't hold the jeep up. Wound up shovelling and winching it dead sideway around to get pointed right way. If I would have shoveled first it would have been easier and I wouldn't have broke an axle. But got me thinking if I had a flat or spare axle how would I change it.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

If you have a flexy suspension, you can strap the axle to the frame before you start jacking. Then once the weight is on the jack, you dig under the tire as needed. That hi-lift base should be plenty of surface area to hold the weight of your jeep in the snow.

EBSTEVE does it right

And often :finger: JWillie brought his base over to help with the jack sinking.
WINTER IS HERE
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Fair enough, thanks for the pics. Guess that's why you also shouldn't wheel alone in the snow to much. Looks like extra hands come in handy too. Knew I was breaking lots of rules but I had enough gear to camp out or get myself home anyways.