2015/2016 Snow Wheeler check-in

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

2015/2016 Snow Wheeler check-in

Post by Nobody »

Ok Snow Wheelers, Status Report! Who's here, What's new? It looks like Old Man Winter is finally going to show up!

My Bronco was down most of the summer. I dropped the driveshaft at the Stanwood Cruise Night. What I thought was just a u-joint, turned into a broken pinion yoke, but not just any pinion yoke, an old style 10 spline pinion yoke. Try finding one of those when you want one. I decided it was best to go ahead and replace the ring and pinion gears so I could switch to the new style yoke and seal. Once I got it all apart, a couple of the bearings didn't look so great, so I replaced those while I was in there. Then I realized I also deformed the slip yoke, so I bought a new slip yoke. When I went to put on the new slip yoke, I realized the driveshaft was twisted :rolleyes2: So I bit the bullet and bought a new driveshaft. I think I learned my lesson. That was an expensive u-joint :frown: :redneck:

Other than that mess, and a little much needed preventative maintenance, not much is new with the Bronco. I drove through something really corrosive last winter though. Picked up some nasty rust on the under carriage. Even my rear bumper that was primed and painted has some rust spots where road debris hit it. I suspect once of the roads was treated with salt or something similar. I'm going to have to start rinsing off the Bronco. I feel for the folks that live in the rust belt.

I still can't believe I did all that damage. It was 90*+ at the time and I only had 20psi in the tires, plus three kids in the back. I was asking for it. Damage occurs at 5:50. Luckily the Bronco saved me the embarrassment of coming apart in front of everyone.

Broken dana 60 10 spline yoke

Deformed yoke. Spicer gets an A+. If I had the missing cap, that u-joint would still be good!

Bent driveshaft :frown:
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Re: 2015/2016 Snow Wheeler check-in

Post by Fubar »

Still here, still with nothing drive able for this year.
Oh well.

I will be continuing with more build updates over the winter months.

I like the updates on the Bronco!! :ugeek:
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I look forward to more updates on your build thread. My goal was to get my rear bumper air tank plumbed into my on-board air for this season so I can air up even faster. I'm a slacker. I guess I still have some time. I did get my sticky door latch fixed though. :redneck:
WINTER IS HERE
bobracing

Post by bobracing »

This year looks like a good start at this time.
Have the Blazer updated this year with a new engine, working rear locker but not sure I like the wider track necessitated by cross-over steering.

Also getting close to finishing a Jeep that should work good in most conditions (poser shot).
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

The night of nov 14 I'm headed out snow wheeling. New swamper trxus mt's to try out. Should be a solid run. Original plan is already out due to snowmobiles already have the mountain beat down. But lots of places to go. I'll post up pics when I get a chance.
christensent

Post by christensent »

I'm here and looking forward to winter, I have tomorrow off so might go try to find some snowy roads... Anyone know where the best early season hope usually is? Highest mountain roads within a few hours of Seattle?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Tonga Ridge and Iron Goat are good go to places for elevation. Tonga is on the north side of the hill which always helps. Stevens Pass is reporting 9" at the top. I think we're about a week out for some great snow conditions. The first runs in November are always among my favorites.
WINTER IS HERE
Chris Immer

Post by Chris Immer »

Dion Z, Steve G. Rick P
Dion Z, Steve G. Rick P
I have been looking to the hills each time I drive I5. Truck is ready. Hey if anyone is interested A group of us will be over at Liberty starting Thanksgiving day for a few days of fun. All invited. Each year there seems to be a combo of conditions. One of my other posts has more info.
Seventee

Post by Seventee »

My first ride was last Sunday. We've got 6-12" on the ground and starting to see some 3-4' drifts to play in. I was by myself so I didn't get too crazy, but hoping to round up a few more rigs and make another run this weekend. Will also have some 36" TSLs within a couple weeks, I can't wait! :cool:
IMG_20151108.jpg
70 Bronco
79 Bronco
79 F-150 4x4
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Chris Immer wrote:
PDR_0017.JPG
I have been looking to the hills each time I drive I5. Truck is ready. Hey if anyone is interested A group of us will be over at Liberty starting Thanksgiving day for a few days of fun. All invited. Each year there seems to be a combo of conditions. One of my other posts has more info.
I won't make Liberty, but I'd like to hook up with you guys again for a local snow run.
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Seventee wrote:My first ride was last Sunday. We've got 6-12" on the ground and starting to see some 3-4' drifts to play in. I was by myself so I didn't get too crazy, but hoping to round up a few more rigs and make another run this weekend. Will also have some 36" TSLs within a couple weeks, I can't wait! :cool:
IMG_20151108.jpg
Welcome to forum. I look forward to some Montana trip reports. Make sure you get radials for the snow ;)
WINTER IS HERE
Seventee

Post by Seventee »

I would certainly prefer radials but I am getting these second hand. $500 for 5 tires in great condition, I can't pass them up. I currently run 33" TSL radials and simply need more tire. My group all run 35-38.5" tires and it gets difficult for me to keep up at times.

I spent last winter upgrading to a narrowed HP44 w/Lock Right and 4.56 gears. Currently running a Detroit in the rear. Only got out once last winter after that, but so far I'm really happy with the upgrades with a couple runs under my belt.

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for a couple years. I am going to ask for a trail camera for Christmas. I have been using my wife's iFlip but it doesn't work very well. So hopefully I can post some video. I have spent hours and hours watching you guys wheel. Snow by far is the best wheeling for me! :cool:
70 Bronco
79 Bronco
79 F-150 4x4
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Tires are so expensive, it's hard to pass up a good deal. You're going to want to swap to radials as soon as you can. It really does make a big difference.
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

Last year sucked completely. My 4runner was down waiting for engine parts (you would not believe how hard it is to put together an early 22r in this region), we were broke and I had a hernia from turbo shoveling out our road so I could get the car out.

This winter should be better.

I am looking to go snow wheeling down by Bozeman some place on new years weekend if anybody is down there can show me some place for a day run that would be great. Either way we are taking the trip. We are staying over night, having coffee and pastries at this French place and wheeling. Might take in the Museum of the Rockies too. It's my Christmas present!
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
bobracing

Post by bobracing »

H8PVMNT
Is there much wheeling in that area? My parents live about an hour away (Monarch) but can't seem to get them to find any trails in the area. Seem all the Lewis and Clark trails are for bikes or quads and the roads shut down in winter for snowmobiles or calving, so FS road are out until June for even snow running. Seems there should be something to wheel in the middle of nowhere, summer or winter.
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

Well, I'm not sure. There was a guy I sold a stoker crank to from Belgrade last year that was into big snow. He seemed to have some place down there.

I had a pretty good time coming into the Little Belts from the Judith Gap side. That part doesn't get shut for sleds only down like the Monarch side does. There is a guy in Moccasin I think with a flatbed Toy and 37" Toyos. I heard he goes up there.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!