Baker Tomorrow (11/15)

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

Baker Tomorrow (11/15)

Post by christensent »

Going out tomorrow to wheel the new snow, leaving Seattle area around 7am. Goal is Twin Lakes (5200ft) then hiking/snowshoeing up ~1300ft to the Winchester lookout. Baker is reporting 2 feet on the ground at 4200ft with another foot expected tonight.

There are other roads in the area if that one doesn't go well.

Let me know if you'd want to join!
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Baker Tomorrow (11/15)

Post by Nobody »

I can't make this one. I have things I need to deal with tomorrow, not to mention my gear is everywhere at the moment. The Baker snow report sure is good though. I suspect you might have a hard time making Twin Lakes. Do you have anyone going with you? I am pretty paranoid about leaving my Bronco unattended, probably unnecessarily so, but if I took a loss, I'd be done.
NOV. 14, 2015
Good news; we came through the rain event yesterday fairly unscathed and the temperatures dropped last night and we received 10 inches of new snow! This brings our base at Heather Meadows to 26 inches, and with NOAA forecasting up to 14 inches of additional new snow by tomorrow we could have 35-40 inches of snow base at Heather Meadows by the end of the weekend. We've been really fortunate to continue to be on the cold side of this front to get some good snowfall.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:I can't make this one. I have things I need to deal with tomorrow, not to mention my gear is everywhere at the moment. The Baker snow report sure is good though. I suspect you might have a hard time making Twin Lakes. Do you have anyone going with you? I am pretty paranoid about leaving my Bronco unattended, probably unnecessarily so, but if I took a loss, I'd be done.
Just a second person but not a second rig (unless anyone hopefully wants to come!)... why would you worry about leaving your vehicle at the end of a snow wheeling road? Nobody is going to be there and if one or two people come they're surely nice outdoors people. Can't exactly imagine a vandal getting to that position.

Anyways, I leave my rig anywhere for long periods of time, can't let those worries control my life. That's what insurance is for, other than the thousand hours I've put into building it.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Yeah, I realize it's a little irrational, but I carry my tools and everything, and with a soft top, it's too easy for some sticky fingers. There's no way I could recover from a loss. If I had a different vehicle, I wouldn't worry about it as much.

Have a great time! I love the early snows.
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

How'd it go? Did you see anyone up there?
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:How'd it go? Did you see anyone up there?
Great... ran into a group of Jeeps at the start of the switchbacks, we got up to the final pair of switchbacks before the leader on 40's was high-centering and not getting anywhere. Then I walked up to the lake from there since we were so close. Probably 5 feet of fresh powder up there. Sunk to your chest if you stepped off the road.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Wow, even better than I expected! Thanks for the pics. I think that's more snow than all of last year :eek:
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Wow those look like great conditions.
Good work getting out there
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

What elevation did you hit snow?
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:What elevation did you hit snow?
1000ft in town of Glacier... but the serious snow started at 4000ft. A lot has changed since then though according to the weather. And I bet there are a dozen trees down on every forest road in the state :frown: