Mt. Daniel Area Tomorrow

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

Mt. Daniel Area Tomorrow

Post by christensent »

It's always last minute snow wheeling plans for me... heading to Mt. Daniel area tomorrow (exit 80 something on I90), snow wheeling access up to 5000ft and some hiking/snowshoeing (nothing serious, maybe towards Mt. Daniel or just up on the ridge as far as we get).

Let me know if you want to come, leaving seattle area tomorrow at 6:30am but flexible.
christensent

Re: Mt. Daniel Area Tomorrow

Post by christensent »

Deep fun day... Got to within 1 mile and 500 feet of Van Epps Pass, turned around at about 5300ft because there wasn't enough traction to push the wall and make reasonable forward progress. Conditions were not great, 6-12 inches of fresh on top of a breakable crust with feet of faceted sugar below. At times if a tire even considered starting to spin, all 4 sunk and required winching out.

Cut two trees out of the trail and pulled cable a dozen or so times.

Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Nice to see some pics. Those are tough conditions
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nice! How high did you have to go to get out of the rain? I wish I had some higher elevation spots closer to home. Can't wait for the snow level to drop. Maybe by next weekend.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:Nice! How high did you have to go to get out of the rain? I wish I had some higher elevation spots closer to home. Can't wait for the snow level to drop. Maybe by next weekend.
It snowed the whole day everywhere east of Snoqualmie Pass (minus a tiny bit back on the road in Cle Elum on the way out). Pavement ends at this location at 2500ft and there were a few inches, persistent snowpack started at 4000ft.

This isn't a place to go in winter though, it all closes to wheeled vehicles come mid to late December.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I didn't realize Van Epps Pass was on the east side. Looks like a cool trip for the summer. I heard on the radio that Snoqualmie is getting a lot of snow.
WINTER IS HERE