Sliding Backwards

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Sliding Backwards

Post by Nobody »

bobracing wrote: Most 0-60psi gauges also go down to about 3psi and not overly accurate. I'd suggest you get a 0-15 dial gauge, getting down below 10psi, accurate psi ratings are much more critical.
Agreed. I have a low pressure dial gauge, but prefer the cheap digital gauges. The trick is finding one that reads low pressure.

Here's a write-up I made when I was in search of a new digital guage: http://www.snowtrek.org/low-pressure-ai ... gauges.php

This is the one I'm currently using. Verified low pressure readings against my dial gauge.

This one looks promising. I might order one and test it.

I think the secret to finding the gauges that read low pressure is to look for a tip that looks like this.
WINTER IS HERE
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

From my experience driving trucks off highway if I start sliding backwards and can't hold it usually best off to push in clutch or find nuetral and steer to back into the high side bank. Either you'll be stopped there or spin around and drive it out forwards down the hill. If you've lost control I'd rather hit going slower than faster. Obviously exceptions do apply. Hard to use broad stroke for wide possibility of conditions.
christensent

Post by christensent »

Scoobienorth wrote:From my experience driving trucks off highway if I start sliding backwards and can't hold it usually best off to push in clutch or find nuetral and steer to back into the high side bank. Either you'll be stopped there or spin around and drive it out forwards down the hill. If you've lost control I'd rather hit going slower than faster. Obviously exceptions do apply. Hard to use broad stroke for wide possibility of conditions.
Ya, that's always my goal... in this case steering did nothing, went lock to lock and just stayed right in the ruts. On a flat I drove a quarter mile or so with my wheels full lock just for the laughs.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

These guys had a nice backward slide at 5:20

WINTER IS HERE