Rear Chains

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

Rear Chains

Post by christensent »

Random thought, has anyone ever tried deep snow wheeling with front tires at 1PSI, and rear tires at street pressure or lightly aired down with chains on? Seems the front breaks trail, and the back follows on a surface that is work-hardened so it's less likely to sink and the chains could give it great traction on the compact-snow surface to push the front forwards through deeper snow that you'd have traction to get over when in above-bumper depths.

Wouldn't work in some snow conditions with a fragile breakable crust, but seems it could work well in bottomless heavy powder?
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Rear Chains

Post by Nobody »

Chains actually work very well. Back in the day I used to run them on the front of my Bronco II. Back in the day, a lot of people used to run chains. The main reason I don't now is I do well enough without them, and don't care for the added hassle. But for those that don't have the greatest tires, chains can really help a lot. You still want all your tires aired down. Success snow wheeling is as much about traction as it is floatation.

Here's a couple oldies. We all are running chains

WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

I used to run chains when I ran 33s. I used to spin my rims in the tires aired down with chains and then my wheel weights would be in the wrong place. I find too that after a certain tire size you just don't need them any more.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Seventee

Post by Seventee »

I used to run chains all the time too, but what I've discovered with bigger tires and lockers is that not only do I not really need them, but there is far less tendency to accidentally dig yourself in.
70 Bronco
79 Bronco
79 F-150 4x4
BBB75

Post by BBB75 »

When you air down with chains is their an increased risk for tire sidewall damage and would you go all four or just two wheels with chains? Thinking i might try this out on my next trip!
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

BBB75 wrote:When you air down with chains is their an increased risk for tire sidewall damage and would you go all four or just two wheels with chains? Thinking i might try this out on my next trip!
I never had a problem with sidewall damage, but I suppose there is some increased risk. I would just monitor closely until you build up some confidence.

Chains in all four corners would be the best, but if you only have one set, then run them on the front for deep snow. A lot guys used to double the cross links, worked very well.
WINTER IS HERE