12/24 - Tonga Ridge

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

12/24 - Tonga Ridge

Post by christensent »

Sat in line at the pass to go skiing, closed until 10am, then 11am, then 1pm and we left.

Next up Iron Goat trail. Got two minutes in before turned around by wind fall (small stuff but didn't have a saw).

Then Tonga ridge. Incredible conditions. Hadn't been wheeled for a lot of storms. Powder was bottomless, it was not possible to walk even with snowshoes on (my friend was nearly up to his head setting a winch point with snowshoes on at one point). Unlimited traction, just pounded it out 6 miles up the road. Couldn't even see half the time with snow piling over the hood, had to clear it all the time. About 6 miles up I was about 4-5 feet deep in the snowpack and would have needed a Hemi to keep going. 4000RPM nearly flooring it to push the snow which was about a foot over the radiator opening so only got 15 second bursts on the thermal mass of the coolant before I hit 245F repeatedly. At one point the only way out was jumping out the window.

The mountains are awesome right now if you can find an untracked road!

Scoobienorth

Re: 12/24 - Tonga Ridge

Post by Scoobienorth »

Dang. That's awesome. What size of tires you running ?
christensent

Post by christensent »

Scoobienorth wrote:Dang. That's awesome. What size of tires you running ?
35". Didn't think it was possible to do this stuff with my Jeep, I guess the conditions were just perfect.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Nice! The snow has a way of making you want more HP. :cool: Any idea what elevation you made it to?
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:Nice! The snow has a way of making you want more HP. :cool: Any idea what elevation you made it to?
3600ft, about a half a mile past the last switchback.