welding front diff spider gears

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
broncogeo68

welding front diff spider gears

Post by broncogeo68 »

Thinking about about welding the the front diff spider gears on my 75 bronco this is my hunting truck daily driver going to leave the rear open because I drive a hundred miles a day on the highway some days getting to my hunting area want some cheap traction once I get there I also drive this thing on snow covered roads at less than 30 miles per hour
Scoobienorth

Re: welding front diff spider gears

Post by Scoobienorth »

Personally it's not something I'd ever do. I can't stand the thought of even an auto locked up front. The steering is really bad in 4wd with the binding up while steering. I know guys that say it isn't that bad but I personally prefer open diffs to fully locked ones most of the time. The odd time it's nice to have. If you do id reccomend a mini spool over welding though as its easier to remove and then you don't have to worry about welds breaking and destroying your diff. They are super cheap.
broncogeo68

Post by broncogeo68 »

I've got another bronco that's locked front and rear Detroits I'm used to running lockers never thought they was as bad as people made them out to be just have never put much money into my 75 probably just go ahead and put a lockrite or spartan in it they cheap
christensent

Post by christensent »

Seems crazy to me for a street vehicle, especially the front. I wouldn't even want a spool on a trail vehicle let alone something on the street. It'd put immense stress on the axles and I'd think stuff would start breaking in tight street turns (if you could even do tight street turns anymore, my turning radius goes down by probably a factor of 10 when locked). There's a big difference between a Detroit front and a welded front on the street. In 2WD, your Detroit front never locks.

On an icy road, I would think you'd be hugely more likely to enter a loss of control because tire slip is guaranteed in turns, and once it starts slipping you've broken the static friction.
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

His bronco has hubs so front end only spins when needed but you'd prob not be able to use 4wd on icy roads even. But having had selectable lockers and also a Detroit, I personally rather have open diffs to fully locked. The steering is bad and the stress isn't good for parts. Anything resembling a sidehill bites. And having made a climb in moab then having to back down to unlock my front locker because it bound up and I could not steer at the top was the nail in the coffin for me.