First snow wheeling trip this season

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Scoobienorth

First snow wheeling trip this season

Post by Scoobienorth »

Well although we weren't expecting as much snow on this trip as we did, it's not surprising either. My Jeep did better than expected with only 33" bajaclaws and open diffs. Broke trail most of the way. A Tj rubi on 35's had to do a section where I couldn't get back on top. I tried time lapse on my iPhone. Didn't work out to well but should get some excited for the upcoming snow season.

Couple from last year while im posting

Chris Immer

Re: First snow wheeling trip this season

Post by Chris Immer »

What is the elevation at the top?
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Think it's around 5700 feet of elevation. Maybe a bit higher
Crazyfootcoy

Post by Crazyfootcoy »

Are you useing the baja claw ttc radials? How do you like them in the snow?
I'm considering them in the 315 flavor for my fj cruiser
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Yes they are the ttc radials. They like to air down. They came broke in. My trxus mt swampers took a long time to break in. These were immediatly good. They pull really well when spinning. Little noisy on highway. Had a bunch of conditions in short order. They are good in rock mud and snow. I think for snow they need some grooving or sipes, little slick on the icy stuff. This was a tough run by anybody's standards on reasonable sized rigs and it was performing very well. A lot of it is the tires so I'm a fan. I think the trxus mt's are better but not $100/tire better.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Dang, a trip report already! I'm still mowing my lawn in a t-shirt down here. No sign of any snow in the hills. Guess it's time to zip the windows back in the Bronco. :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
Crazyfootcoy

Post by Crazyfootcoy »

Scoobienorth wrote:Yes they are the ttc radials. They like to air down. They came broke in. My trxus mt swampers took a long time to break in. These were immediatly good. They pull really well when spinning. Little noisy on highway. Had a bunch of conditions in short order. They are good in rock mud and snow. I think for snow they need some grooving or sipes, little slick on the icy stuff. This was a tough run by anybody's standards on reasonable sized rigs and it was performing very well. A lot of it is the tires so I'm a fan. I think the trxus mt's are better but not $100/tire better.
How would you compare the claws traction in snow vs a more traditional mt like a toyo Or a hankook? I'm trying to find the best tire for deep snow that is still dailyable. I considered the truxus but the sheer weight and balancing issues scared me off.
Scoobienorth

Post by Scoobienorth »

Hands down these claws are one of the best wheeling tires going. Deep snow it'll run with the best,mine balance well but 2 needed a fair bit of weight. Deep snow there won't be much better. I'm debating between some grooves or sipes on mine. Also want to try them backwards on the front. The tread profile is really different. Front side is sharp like a knife to dig. The back side is sloped and not sharp. I'm suspecting they act a lot different turned around.