North Cascades snow wheeling

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Snowman75

North Cascades snow wheeling

Post by Snowman75 »

Hey all,
I'm looking for some good places to go on an overnight snow run with some friends. I'd like to steer clear of Hwy 2, and I90. We haven't explored up around Mt Baker do this year I'd like to head that way. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Thanks!
christensent

Re: North Cascades snow wheeling

Post by christensent »

Are you talking right now or later in the winter? There is currently no snow wheeling in Washington State (the only possible exception might be Hart's pass? I'll bet it's closed the first day there'd be any wheeling though).
Snowman75

Post by Snowman75 »

We are planning on Dec 10th right now, if conditions are good. Previous years we've always gone off hwy 2 or I90. Just looking for some new country to explore. Thanks!
christensent

Post by christensent »

Twin Lakes up near Baker is good if you get it at the right time, once winter really starts there's no way in just a big pile of snow on the side of the road. Early December might be good. There's not much in the immediate vicinity of Baker once winter starts as it all becomes snowmobile trails.

Some of the turns off the Suiattle River Road can have some snow and remain open all winter.

Cascade River Road could have some snow but usually not a lot and it might not be great wheeling. Could have a good little run up to the Hidden Lake Trailhead, went up there last year in terrible snow conditions but it could be fun in good snow.

Lots of snow available just outside Darrington if you head up towards White Chuck Mountain. I had a real good day up there last fall and as far as I know none of it is snowmobile closures.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I really like the Slide mountain and racehorse creek area. You need to catch it at the right times though. I haven't been up there in quite awhile, so I'm not sure if it's gated right now. Of course we need some snow first. Second or third week of November used to be a sure thing!
WINTER IS HERE
Snowman75

Post by Snowman75 »

Thanks everyone! I'll do some research on those areas!