Trip Report: Snow Wheeling 2017/2018

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Trip Report: Snow Wheeling 2017/2018

Post by Nobody »

Let’s do Green since it’s going to be a some what short day. I’d prefer to leave the kids home for the longer runs. How about the Granite Falls McCheveron at 10:30am?
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Sure... but if you're starting in Stanwood and we're going to Green Mountain, are you sure you want to meet there? Unless there's a different Green Mountain or route I'm not aware of
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I’m talking the Green Mountain out the Mountain Loop.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Oh, I didn't even know that Green Mountain existed. Ok, see you then!
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

We’ll be there. Happy New Year!
WINTER IS HERE
poester

Post by poester »

Wish I found this forum earlier. Climbed Little Gee Lake Nov 3rd. Ice stopped me a 1/4 mile from twin lakes a couple weeks ago. still fun though. my pics are upside down on this forum. Why?
Attachments
20171103_162447.jpg
Last edited by poester on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Welcome to the forum. First I’ve heard of upside down pics. What type of device did you post from? Pic above is oriented correctly for me. Thanks for sharing. :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
poester

Post by poester »

again. dang I don't get it. i even rotated them first. they go upside. Im crazier than i thought.
Attachments
20171103_134953.jpg
poester

Post by poester »

Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the north cascades are going to get lots of snow for a couple weeks. I'm always down for a trip. pics still upside down. Messaged admin.

Microsoft surface is my device.
Attachments
20171103_160453.jpg
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Sorry for the slow response. You'll need to use the Windows Photo Viewer to actually rotate the image. See the link below

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=579
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Took a quick run up the hill to check out the snow situation. Overall pretty disappointing for this time of year. Very little snow below 4,000'. What snow there was, wasn't great for driving in. I'll call it slow snow. Too much throttle and I'd start digging. I was the only wheeled vehicle up there since the last snows. I was following some some tracks from some vehicle on tracks a day or two prior. I suspect it was a Side-by-Side. It was slightly wider than my bronco though and had quite a bit more ground clearance. Had 2.5-3 feet most places above 4,000 feet and some deeper drifts.

Here's a few poser shots

At the top

On the full res pic, can see the snowmobile tracks on Baker. I scanned the pic and couldn't find any snowmobiles or climbers though.

The tracks I was following

Rare clear day.

WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Some video from last weekend. Looks like we've had a some decent snow this week. I should have gone out today. Did anyone go?

WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Last weekend would have been so amazing. There were feet of fresh soft snow at Stevens, but was busy skiing it instead.

I went out today on Pilchuck up towards Bear Lake. Made it up to 2800ft which is lake elevation but stopped half a mile short due to a small downed tree that I didn't want to deal with (we came to ski). It was raining moderately all day and the snow was water-saturated cement. Broke trail for the last few miles which was difficult but not awful, generally able to stay moving straddling outside the old faint ruts. Became difficult towards the end due to pushing the wall of snow.

Proceeded to experience my worst ever day of skiing bushwhacking through a wall of underbrush, didn't really get anywhere and just left after getting soaking wet and cold.

Sad that all the fresh snow is now trapped under what will be tomorrow's ice crust, but at least we're building some snow base.

Only a few feet of snow up there, still pretty weak snow pack compared to what's on the mountain passes.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Yeah, I think last weekend would have been good. I thought about going out this morning, but it was pretty windy, so I decided not to. It ended up being a really nice day today. I’m up for a run tomorrow morning if want.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:Yeah, I think last weekend would have been good. I thought about going out this morning, but it was pretty windy, so I decided not to. It ended up being a really nice day today. I’m up for a run tomorrow morning if want.
I was thinking about going out tomorrow but since it's just going to be a raining sloppy mess much worse than today, I think I'm just going to replace my spark plugs which requires several hours of engine disassembly (thanks Chrysler!)
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I think today would have been great up north. I was watching the animated radar and Skagit county was perfectly inline with the Olympic rain shadow. Not a drop of rain all day. I blew it this weekend.
WINTER IS HERE
poester

Post by poester »

Nobody wrote:Sorry for the slow response. You'll need to use the Windows Photo Viewer to actually rotate the image. See the link below

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=579
Thanx. The pics look fine in photo viewer. I rotated them anyway, they still show upside down. its kool.
Not much being posted for up coming wheeling on here. My son just got his first job and he was my wheelen buddy. I guess I try and stay off the evening news while im' out alone. LOL :beer:
poester

Post by poester »

im going up the north cascades Sunday.anyone want to go?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I would love to, but the The Great Northwest Glass Quest just started and I’d get disowned if I ditch the family this weekend. Conditions sure look good though!
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Put in a new power steering pump last night and finally have power steering again! With success at that, got to hit this great snow weekend.

Got up to Jack Pass today. Had around 1.5 miles of trail breaking at the end which took several hours. Snow was waist deep when trying to walk around. Decent snow, but on the heavy side (it's been in the low-30's for all this snow) and generally couldn't continuously move due to the immediate formation of a wall of cement. Conditions improved as we got higher and the snow softened a bit, this would be a fun place to go on a 2-day trip and go up the spur roads from the pass to even higher elevations, could easily spend days up here wheeling. Got a few 10-vehicle-length hits in, otherwise just 2-vehicle-length pounding the whole way. Another day where I started at 4PSI, then tried 2PSI and was much worse off, and then went up to 5PSI for best conditions. Starting to think the 1-3PSI range is only good on a true soft blower powder day otherwise ground clearance wins.