New Years Day Snow Photos

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
ToddKaz

New Years Day Snow Photos

Post by ToddKaz »

All started well with plenty of rigs and lots of snow (up high) and then my buddies Blazer broke down in the middle of a narrow, steep trail with no way to navigate around him........and that was the start of a long, very wet night.

Here we are early in the day reaching snow at about 2500 feet.

Here is a shot of two "spare" rigs we put together this year for visiting friends and family. On the Blazer we installed 38's and Staun beadlocks off our Suburban and other than 8" of lift and an Eaton in the rear its pretty much stock, it's being driven by our good friend (and possible new owner) Braden. The Jeep is one my wife and I bought a few weeks ago and have added 35's and black Daytona wheels, winch, CB, lights and (arriving today) a hardtop and swing-away tire carrier for the rear bumper. Driver is my son Darrin who lives in N.D. and is visiting for a month.

This is the only 6-tone Bronco I've seen on the trail in recent memory. The Cherokee gave a valiant effort trying to free the EB from the ditch but in the end we had to attach a strap to the Suburban and give a yank....The driver said when he was getting in his rig "could you please leave the front bumper attached"....and I did.

I guess it's a Jeep thing and no I still don't understand.

This is our buddy Garland and his Blazer before it broke down on the narrow trail later in the day.

Family photo with actual snow (not rain) falling, elevation was right around 4300'. I'm the bald one middle top, my brother Jesse (and video guy) bald guy on right, son Darrin and his girlfriend Sam on the left and in the middle is my daughter Kristina and my "cold" wife Sally.

This is the trail where we would end up spending most of the afternoon and into the night. The white Blazer lost fuel pressure and would not run (probably in-tank fuel pump) and after many attempts to get the truck fixed and then dead pulling, winching and snatch blocking to turn it around we ended up using the windshield washer motor to pump fuel into the carb one small squirt at a time then drove down far enough to get a pickup and trailer under it. Most of the 15 or so rigs behind us lost interest after 3 or 4 hours and went off to play elsewhere. If we had been able to continue up this trail we would have had more snow than we knew what to do with. My boy in the TJ and us in the Suburban were enventually able to get around with some brush cutting and went off exploring for an hour or two. All in all it was a great time and now I have a trail to finish exploring next weekend. Thank you snowtrek.org and Nobody for giving us a place to post pictures and share our day! I will try and get a video or two posted soon.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: New Years Day Snow Photos

Post by Nobody »

Awesome trip report. Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had much better snow than we did. Love the 6 tone bronco :laugh: Great family pic.

I've always wanted to try the windshield washer trick! Now I know it works. No one gets left behind!
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

So are you guys on a paved road where the bronco and jeep are stuck? How high does it go? That would be just too much fun to have a nice wide road to race on.
WINTER IS HERE
ToddKaz

Post by ToddKaz »

Asphalt then gravel, then back to asphalt, so yes it is a great road to race on, nice and wide with no steep drop offs. This area tops off at around 4500 ft. which is normally plenty high this time of year, except of course for this year.