Snow Down South

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
ToddKaz

Snow Down South

Post by ToddKaz »

It may be time to head to California. This is one forecasters opinion of what will happen January 19 - 23 in the Sierra Nevada Range.

Sierra and southern California Mountain Snowfall:

Here you will need more than one yard stick to measure the snowfall. Mostly all snow will fall above 6,500 feet around Tahoe and 7,000 feet in Southern California resort areas and a great amount of what falls will be snow down to 6,000 feet north to 6,500 feet south. Snow levels will fall with each storm and by Thursday could be down to 3,500 feet north to 5,000 feet or less south. In the high country I would expect 5 to 10 feet of snow with significant snow of several feet down to 5,500 to 6,000 feet. A place like Mammoth Mountain and the resorts of Mountain High, Big Bear, Snow Summit and Snow Valley can expect the most amount of snow, Mammoth especially.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow Down South

Post by Nobody »

5-10 feet :eek: I wish I was in a postion for a road trip. This year has been especially pathetic up here. I'm dying to get out snow wheelin....
WINTER IS HERE
ToddKaz

Post by ToddKaz »

Well we've decided to do it. Most of the arrangments have been made and we are leaving on Tuesaday. My brother Jesse used his time share credits and booked us a room in Kalamath Falls for one night then two nights in South Lake Tahoe at an elevation of 6400'. Snow forecast in the area is calling for 4 to 5 feet, maybe more, with the higher elevations expecting to get a few feet more. Needless to say we are very excited to go, this could be one of those "epic" storms that only come through once in a lifetime (I hope), this should be a quite an experience. We will take pictures from the start of the trip and I will bring my laptop and try to update along the way. Oh, and you all have fun in the rain :finger:........... JUST KIDDING :P
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Are you already familiar with a place to go? Are you hooking up with a group down there? Sounds like it's going to be an epic adventure. Hope none of the rigs let you down this time! Can't wait to see some pics and videos!
WINTER IS HERE
ToddKaz

Post by ToddKaz »

I have been around this area a few times and have gone snow wheeling near here last year when Four Wheeler came along to photograph the Frostbite Extreme snow run for CAL4WD. We are not meeting up with anyone but plan to meet a few new friends during the snow storm, winds in the higher elevation are expected to hit 100 mph so who knows who might be blowing through :lol:. I am not sure we'll even be able to make it to some of the forest roads, we may just stay busy with the local roads and highways depending how bad (good) it gets. To say the least, I am pumped!
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Good luck tomorrow. I hope you find old man winter :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
ToddKaz

Post by ToddKaz »

Thanks, we are heading out in a couple hours. I was going to trailer the Suburban down, but yesterday (after a couple beers) decided to drive it down instead and make it a real adventure. 46" tires and 1500 miles, never done that before. We'll keep everyone posted.
built4war

Post by built4war »

sounds like a blast wish i was able to follow once you hit roseburg! good luck and hope everything goes great.