Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe

Discussion and product reviews of cold weather clothing, tools and equipment
Nobody
Site Admin

Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe

Post by Nobody »

Backcountry.com has the Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe on sale right now for $79.99 + free 2 day shipping. Normally $99.99. I just picked one up today and though I'd pass along the deal.

The raven pro seems to be the go to ice axe for non technical mountaineering. From my research, it appears the 70cm version is the correct length for me @ 6'1". One more item checked off my endless list... :cool:

WINTER IS HERE
EBSTEVE

Re: Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe

Post by EBSTEVE »

I also bought a Black Diamond Raven ice axe but I went for the regular instead of the pro. I purchased from Backcountry.com it was on sale with free two day shipping. It also has a few features that I wanted.

First I want a leash and mine was packaged with there’s so it was a big plus for me, what good is it if I drop it and watch it slide away or drop off into the abyss?

Second is the grip, as Nobody pointed out to me there are negatives to the grip such as when used to probe ground it could be harder to push into the snow, giving a false sense of condition. For me I foresee using it more to dig or trench vs probing for a crevasse so I figure it will be easier to wield it around with gloves with the grip.

Bottom line is mine is a bit heavier and probably not as good if you are going to scale Mt Everest but for multi-use I like what it has to offer and on sale it was $71.
Attachments
Raven1.jpg
Raven2.jpg