What to keep my legs warm?

Discussion and product reviews of cold weather clothing, tools and equipment
EBSTEVE

What to keep my legs warm?

Post by EBSTEVE »

I have some Under Armor pants that don't keep my legs warm if there is ANY air flow around them at all. If I am really active then they are great but if I am just standing around they seem to make me cold and that is not the idea of them. The last few days it's been in the mid teens at my house and my legs get cold almost instantly with the UA pants under some Carhartt pants, compared to my torso not getting cold and I am wearing a long john style shirt that my wife bought me at old navy and a t-shirt.
My concern is two fold, staying warn and not sweating, do I try some basic long johns, some warm up AKA windbreaker pants or is there something to layer over the UA that would make life great?

What is everyone else doing for there legs?
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: What to keep my legs warm?

Post by Nobody »

I have to say, I'm sold on these First Ascent Mountain Guide Pants . I've always been too poor or too cheap to buy good gear. I tried on a lot of different pants last year and these things stood out from the rest. Perfect fit. They fit over my boots well, and have a button instead of velcro. I can't stand velcro because it ices up, and wears out. My biggest complaint is the lack of real belt loops since I like to carry some things on my belt.

These pants are designed by well known Mountaineering guides and it shows. I was perfectly warm no matter what I was doing. Crawling through a chest deep snow drift, snowshowing or standing around in the cold. I never got hot and never got cold. They are 86% Nylon and 14% elastane, whatever that is.

I got mine at the end of last season on sale for $150 (ouch). After last Saturday, I'm 100% happy.

First Ascent Mountain Guide Pants

I had them covered with an REI rain pant that I got on clearance last year as well. They came with a small compression bag so I can easily stuff them away. The combination seemed to work really well for me.

On top I was wearing one of the champion base layer shirts I got at costco last year. They were super cheap and I wasn't expecting much, but I'm quite happy with those as well. I haven't seen the base layer stuff in stock this year. They are 88% Polyester and 12% spandex. There was a few times my torso started to cool off, but if you noticed, the whole day I never put on a jacket.

I'm still looking for some jackets that I approve of. My basic theory is to separate the insulating layers from the waterproofing layers. Waterproof layer should be able to be used whether its warm or cold.

I might not win a fashion show, but I was comfortable.

WINTER IS HERE
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I guess next time we go I will have to take a closer look at them, I was fine when snow shoeing and when walking through the same drift as pictured. I think I need something like fleece / elastane maybe 80/20-70/30. My Helly Hansen pants were great, I was not wet at all it was just a bit of cold as if I was getting a small breeze on my legs. You defiantly made a great point about the snaps. I have two pairs of snow pants and snaps and built in gators are a must IMO.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

those look pretty nice.

I've always been a fan of wool. I have 4 sets of thick wool pants, and I wear poly/wool long johns under them.