10-28-12 Slush run

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
snowrunner574

10-28-12 Slush run

Post by snowrunner574 »

Heres a few pics from our slush/mud run. We went up tollgate and out to bone springs. (Around 6000 ft) Temp was around 50 and raining hard. Looking forward to getting more snow in the following weeks. I was in the jeep.

Bone springs warming shed
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 10-28-12 Slush run

Post by Nobody »

What's the story with the Bone Srings Warming Shed? Is that some sort of public shelter? Open year round?
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Its a place that snowmobiler's can go to warm up. Its stocked with wood and has a few tables inside. It is not open year round. I believe its open when they close the forest roads. So right around Dec. 1st. The few times ive been on a snowmobile I have not gone out that way. I think the Tollgate Trailfinders run it. Not 100% sure though.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

slushy.
snowrunner574

Re: 11-10-12 night run

Post by snowrunner574 »

Figured I would just add to this thread. Decided to go up to bone springs again saturday night. Found 4-8 inches. At least this time it wasnt a slush fest. Heres some crappy night pics.

We are planning on going up again this saturday(17th) to bone springs again and down another forest road that I cant remember the name of. Hoping to find more snow. Heard some rumors of tollgate getting 9" today so hopefully it stays and we get more this week. The jeep is doing good and I finally got the tires siped today. Gonna change the oil and lube it up this week and try to fix a few things on it and it should be ready to go.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

im sooooooo jealous.

nice pics.
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

:D Thanks. I only went up 3 times last year so any chance I get I will be going up this year. Plus the roads close on dec. 1st so were trying to get as much snow as we can. On the plus side Ive gone up twice and saturday will be trip 3 but on the down side the snow hasnt been much/very good. It can only get better though. :beer:
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

hey can ya post some addresses for these areas. or some ware close . gas is the main budget this winter. i may be able to make it your way if i can estimate mileage .
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

snowrunner574 wrote::D Thanks. I only went up 3 times last year so any chance I get I will be going up this year. Plus the roads close on dec. 1st so were trying to get as much snow as we can. On the plus side Ive gone up twice and saturday will be trip 3 but on the down side the snow hasnt been much/very good. It can only get better though. :beer:
Wait, you've got no place to go snow wheeling all winter? All the forest service roads are closed?
WINTER IS HERE
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Oxen__ wrote:hey can ya post some addresses for these areas. or some ware close . gas is the main budget this winter. i may be able to make it your way if i can estimate mileage .
The main address' I would use would be Walla Walla Wa. Dayton Wa. and Tollgate Or. I usually go up out of Walla Walla Or up Tollgate. I go to Dayton every now and then.
Nobody wrote:
snowrunner574 wrote::D Thanks. I only went up 3 times last year so any chance I get I will be going up this year. Plus the roads close on dec. 1st so were trying to get as much snow as we can. On the plus side Ive gone up twice and saturday will be trip 3 but on the down side the snow hasnt been much/very good. It can only get better though. :beer:
Wait, you've got no place to go snow wheeling all winter? All the forest service roads are closed?
Unfortunately yes. Alot of the good roads close on Dec. 1st. But there are a few that stay open year round but they are at lower elevations. I think there might be more roads open in the La Grande area but I'm not sure. Ive never gone to La Grande but I wouldnt mind making the trip there. Its about an hour or so from Walla Walla.
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Here is the sign that most of our roads have.
And a sea of fog.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

snowrunner574 wrote:Here is the sign that most of our roads have.
That really sucks. At least you guys get the epic spring snow wheeling.
WINTER IS HERE
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

Nobody wrote:
snowrunner574 wrote:Here is the sign that most of our roads have.
That really sucks. At least you guys get the epic spring snow wheeling.
x2
:beer:

ware is this place so that i may move there :)