Oxens Trail Express XJ-999 build thread

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Oxen__

Oxens Trail Express XJ-999 build thread

Post by Oxen__ »

so i figured i would share more about my ride and what i am doing with it.

it's in a half finished the state right now. so here is how she sits. my rig has gone King Cab. i need to buy some steel to get it all caged back in and strengthened up.

need to get a steel hatch and re cap the back ad run bar thru it. want a hatch with a roll down window , defrost , and a wiper.

my dash all flat black and grey with a gps installed to the dash. no more guessing how fast i am going or ware i am at or been :)

all black with factory tach.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Oxens Trail Express XJ-999 build thread

Post by Nobody »

So your gps is your speedometer? Is your cherokee your daily driver?
WINTER IS HERE
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

Nobody wrote:So your gps is your speedometer? Is your cherokee your daily driver?
yes it is. gps gives me correct road speed and directions when i need.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

looks like i should get to start in on some more jeep projects this week i hope.

my friends shop burnt down so that has kinda held me up. lost a good bit of tools and parts i had . but the jeep survived. have spent time regather parts and stuff.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

Yeah buddy. Got some goods. Got a ford 9 inch rear and a dana 60 front axle. A set of h1 bead locks with new inserts. And some 36 inch tars.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

some work today finely

tore the bead lock wheels down to machine the run flat section of it off.

well thats it sofar . got paint stripper to get the wheels ready for paint. any color suggestions any one?
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

today i picked up a 19 inch hd lcd monitor a power supply back up , power inverter and a solid state drive for my rigs on board computer so i can have windows mobile gps on board for mapping . i can carry a bunch of music and review video during long trips . next set of goodies should be two HD usb cameras.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Looks like you're getting the body buttoned up. My chopped Bronco II never really made it that far... :redneck:

Is your computer a laptop or an actual PC? I have an ipad, but I don't really like taking that wheeling. The GPS is nice though.
WINTER IS HERE
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

Nobody wrote:Looks like you're getting the body buttoned up. My chopped Bronco II never really made it that far... :redneck:

Is your computer a laptop or an actual PC? I have an ipad, but I don't really like taking that wheeling. The GPS is nice though.
if i go with you in the sno. i 'll have enough gps for a group of us ha haha

my comp is a standard pc . my lap top died so i figured id go with a slim case pc and i got 15amps of 120v's aboard my rig i can run almost any thing :)

your ipad would be a nice unit. they make some nice mounting set ups you mite be able to mod one . but an ipad is kinda spendy to possibly break. my pc set up isnt to spendy and easy to replace. also i kinda want to be able to watch a movie at nite on over nite trips or review footage of the day

i'm gonna have to run my 36's this winter but next year i'l have some 40 inch pit bull rockers :D
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

i been working ion my rig. ned to up - date with pics snow is not too far off now.

i got my hands on a divorced dana 24 t-case to run a s a doubler. also got all the shafts that go with it for free. was loking to go 231-231 but the doubler kits 500 bones. this routs going to be about 250 all said and done and yields 4.56:1 low range in low + low :) . may top it of with some pretty deep gears . i got my hands on a gm14 bolt and if i can find one a dana 60. and get right into the 6xx:1 ratios .

any how hope your all getting your summer wrenching done so ya can play.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Oh you got humvee wheels n tires. nice double beadlock. I had those on my old yota.

looking good so far
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

n16ht5 wrote:Oh you got humvee wheels n tires. nice double beadlock. I had those on my old yota.

looking good so far

thanks. i wana get out on the snow , but i been getting held up with work. so i may not get to run til later in the snow season this year. but this week i got a ton of projects tied up so now i can "probably " work on mine . :)

how is the start of your winter going so far?
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

it's warm. :(
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

n16ht5 wrote:it's warm. :(

yes it is. too damn warm to go have any fun . this weather can turn cold any time now please ha ha
jam session

Post by jam session »

20in at 4000ft and snow level down to 3000 today. We're getting there

For Steven's pass see
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

looks pretty good this week!
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

been taking for ever to get any head way going on. but i am now going jeep/snow crawler

axles i have on hand are a 14bolt and d44

new engine is a OM617 turbo diesel from a Mercedes 300sd . even got a new turbo for it so shouldn't have any problems there. along with new glows and rebuilt injectors.

tires i am after are either 39.5-1350 irocks or pitbull mad dogs. but tires are gonna be last when this mothers rolin.

any way made some progress.

rear frame work needs fish plates and caps , along with mounts. after i get the rear all done up i am cutting the nose of my rig off and redoing the front frame work as well. new planned wheel base is 126 inches. factory is 110-112.

hope yall been enjoying your winter i been watching form the side lines. :beer:
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

more progress