Tonga ridge Sat 11/24

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
jam session

Tonga ridge Sat 11/24

Post by jam session »

I'm running up Tonga ridge as far as we can on Sat. There is 20+ inches of snow up there now and it keeps throwing in a melt/wet cycle so I don't know if we'll make it to the top. Anyone interested is welcome to join us (3 JKs). Meeting in Monroe at 9:00. Great snowshoe trail at the top.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Tonga ridge Sat 11/24

Post by Nobody »

I "might" be interested depending on snow conditions. I can't really afford to drive that far unless conditions make it worth the drive. Stevens is only reporting an 18" base, so more than likely I'll wait for the next big blast.
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Looks like a big improvement, up to a base of 28" at Stevens.
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I think I'll sit this one out. I hope you have a good time :cool:
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

Too bad you couldn't make it, snow and weather were better than expected. Snow level was about 3500ft and it was sloppy but as we went up it got better and better. Drove right up to the top of Tonga ridge passing several snow shoe'rs on the way. This was about 4300ft elevation and had about 24in of snow.

Went farther on down the ridge and up another climb to about 4500ft with over 2ft of snow.

This is the whole group where we finally turned around.

Blue sky on the way home
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Definitely enough snow to have some fun. Did you guys get to break trail to the top? Notice any improvement with the siping? Hopefully the next week or two will bring us some more snow!
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

Yes, we broke trail going up to the Tonga ridge trailhead and again at the next climb which I think was toward Mt Sawyer but it was an unmarked road. The main road (6830) had other traffic, mostly snowshoers and christmas tree hunters. I lead for most of the day and the combination of low pressure (6) and siping worked great. Made it to the tonga trailhead without lockers, but needed them when the road got steeper and the snow got deeper on the next climb. Once the trail was packed we had a guy on 33s, open/open who made it.

I think I noticed more benefit from the siping when we went to Fortune Creek a couple weeks ago for the first snow. There was about 8in on top but it was icy on the way down and it didn't bother me compared to some of the other rigs. This is the highest we got at the end of Hawkins Mtn Mine trail at about 6300ft. Several steep climbs getting up here made this really fun as it is rated a more difficult jeep trail.

n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

nice pics
jam session

Post by jam session »

Thanks....just cellphone snapshots. That's a real compliment coming from you....I've surfed around your site and love your work!

I'm hoping to hookup with some serious snow wheelers who want to do a snowshoe hike after driving as far as we can.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I'd like to do some snowshoeing this year too. My main problem is leaving my bronco since i can't secure it, soft top and all.
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

I wouldn't be too worried about it. By the time you get to the end of the difficult snow no tweakers are going to get there. I would not hesitate to leave a soft top at Tonga ridge trail head for example. Only people I have ever seen up there I would trust to not mess with my rig. Down at the firepit may be a problem cause all kinds of rigs make it to there.