More snow wheeling pics

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
jam session

More snow wheeling pics

Post by jam session »

Did two runs this weekend. Sat tried to make it to Twin Lakes up by Mt Baker. Snow level started at 3000ft and the base was wet, heavy and slick. Several avalanches were challenging to cross and we finally turned around here just after the first switchback

Plenty of snow above 4000ft as you can see here

If you got off the packed trail at all you were stuck. We both had to winch out of here

Sunday went to Tonga ridge again for Christmas Trees. Snowing hard down to 2500ft and 6-8in new above 3500-4000.

We got our trees at the first pit off 6830

And then went up the climb to the second pit where there was a lot more snow. First tracks after we passed a Grand Cherokee and Toyota who were both stuck.

I'm going back to Tonga again this Sun cause my son missed this run but still wants to get a tree. Anyone is welcome to join us, looks like it might be a sunny day.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: More snow wheeling pics

Post by Nobody »

Great snow! Not much road left in that one pic. Thanks for sharing! :cool: I think I'm going to try and get out on Saturday.
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

Yeah, I think we crossed that avalanche twice already and the guy breaking trail came real close to going over the edge at the last crossing. He tried to drive through it and didn't make it but slid down hill when backing out (non selectable lockers). This was a YJ buggy on 42s. Where we turned around was even worse cause the avalanche had completely filled the road. When a snowmobiler came down to report the snowmobiles were stuck two switchbacks ahead we decided we had gone far enough.

Is there somewhere closer to Stanwood that you like for snow wheeling? This will be my third run to Tonga already and it was actually fairly busy last week. Hoping that lottsa new snow forecast this week will keep some people out for my next run.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Always best to play it safe!

The main problem with anything closer is everything tops out around 4,500'. Segelsen used to be a good spot, but they close it for sno-park now. I'm not actually sure if they close it on a set date, or once there is enough snow.
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Did you make it to Tonga Ridge on Sunday? How did it go?
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

We did the run Sun but did not make it to the top of Tonga ridge. Insane amounts of new snow up there. 21in new Fri and 48 new Sat! :eek: When we got above about 3500ft conditions got really challenging. I was doing ok but the other two jeeps with me were needing frequent tugs to get out of the soft stuff on the side. The snow was very deep, heavy, and slick when it got packed. We followed a previous groups tracks up to about 3600ft but still 1/4 mile short of the fire pit. It wasn't safe to proceed beyond there because even if I had made it no one in my group was going to be able to follow and help me if I got dug in. To top it off a warm front came by right when we were at the end of the packed track and freezing rain was coming down. Nasty! I posted some pics up on JKF if you are interested. http://www.jk-forum.com/northwest-50/ch ... 051/page5/ To give you an idea here is one from that thread from my friend Dustin who was playing around while we looked for trees:

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Member only URL.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

nasty
jam session

Post by jam session »

Oops, I thought you only had to register to post. Here are the pics
Next three are on a little climb near the bottom. Not much snow but very icy. Dustin slid back down sideways

Next four shots are on the way up. Snow starting getting really deep at about 3000ft

This is near where we turned around, notice the articulation, his right front is really buried. When this started happening frequently we decided to turn around.

Needed snow shoes to hunt for a tree even half way down.