Trip Report: Snow wheelin 12-19-2009

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Trip Report: Snow wheelin 12-19-2009

Post by Nobody »

Went out to do a little snow wheelin yesterday. Haven't gotten any significant snow accumulation since we were last out a month ago. It was pretty much like wheelin in the spring time. Even though though there wasn't much snow, it was still fun to get out. No one else had been up there since our last trip...just our old tracks. We were able to explore down a road normally buried by a massive snow drift. Before we turned around I peaked around the next corner and there was going to be some nasty sidehilling.

All the pictures of the day are here. Got a little video I'll try to post later.
http://www.snowtrek.org/iron-mountain-2 ... owtrek.php

EBSTEVE trying to find china.

Chris breaking trail

Sweet snow drift. The peak of the drift is actually about the center of the road.

Around the corner it turned into a double drift.

About a 1000' drop on the other side

Nobody got stuck

Discovered that snow balls do NOT grow bigger when rolled down a hill....shucks..
WINTER IS HERE
Mherriford

Re: Snow wheelin 12-19-2009

Post by Mherriford »

Nice, I went wheeling last tuesday, but we found little to no snow, I did get to show up a few toyotas and jeeps with the bronco though, that was fun :)
Looks like you guys had more luck finding snow than me, Great pics!
Qui vult dare parva non debet magna rogare.
Mumblewood

Post by Mumblewood »

Looks like fun, those drift's are pretty cool looking.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

That picture of you standing on the peak of the drift is cool. I hope we get more snow soon, I have time off and I want to go wheeling in walker, up in the snow a few times in the Bronco as well as a trip with snowshoes.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Here's one of the videos from last week.

WINTER IS HERE
dbhawthorne

Post by dbhawthorne »

Great video! What kind of setup is on the Samurai? I bought my Samurai this year but I haven't seen many guys running them on snow wheeling videos or talking about what they are running in the snow.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I don't really know anything about the Samurai. He was the brother-in-law of one of the other guys in the group. In general though, they should do fine. Just got to get that air pressure down!
WINTER IS HERE
dbhawthorne

Post by dbhawthorne »

Thanks for the info. I think my biggest concern was the ability to run tall tires. I just don't have the horsepower/drivetrain to go much bigger than what I am already running (33x12.5). I didn't know if this would be a huge disadvantage. My rig only weighs 2,100 so perhaps the 33's will do just fine when aired down.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

With 33's you should be able to follow along in most conditions and break trail when the snow is just perfect. 35's and above will let you break trail in most conditions but it will be slow at times. That extra bit of tire helps a lot. You don't need a lot of power. In fact under powered rigs generally do very well.

Snow Wheeling is also pretty technical driving. You constantly have to adjust to the ever changing snow conditions.
WINTER IS HERE
kfinney

Post by kfinney »

Great pics and video. . . I love finding drifts like that, it's like. . .well. . . Christmas. :cool:
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

great pics, where did you go.