Minor Snow Run and snow cave...

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
H8PVMNT

Minor Snow Run and snow cave...

Post by H8PVMNT »

Went up to out local trail with the 4Runner and the boys. It was perfect at the trail head we met some snow shoe guys who said "you'll never make it!"... We aired the MTRs down to 4psi and crawled up the trail with them left gaping at the trailhead. Snow was a good base but with 40 degree temps if you made any kind of wheel speed you promptly sunk to the diffs. It was better up the canyon in the shady spots. We did a first low crawl most of the way untill we got to a good sidehill packed drift where we got out and made a small snow cave. We only had about 4 feet to work with so we went down, in and tunneled over about 7 feet. Big enough for me and the boys to fit comfortably.

The goodyears were pretty awesome overall in the really crummy conditions. I would like to sipe them and maybe even get some 40s someday, but the 35s work in most situations I've been in so the 40s can wait untill I have a spare couple grand laying around :laugh: . One cool thing is the bead bundle is really tight and has an angle on it that seems to force the sidewall out so you don't get as much of a yaw on sidehills. This was really evident on this trail which has a ton of sidehill especially when it drifts and gets solid like it was that day. My procomps would have been all over the place and the MTRs tracked very well with a nice fat footprint and little or no yaw on side angles. The creek crossing, sometimes almost a required winch operation on the way back out was total cake. We creeped right up with almost no penetration. This is no big deal since it was shady and hard at the creek but we've had like 8 jeeps stuck there before so it's always kind of cool when you can wheel right up... When it gets deeper it becomes a wheelbase obstical real fast. Throw a couple lead foots with too much air and open diffs and you have a real mess!
Attachments
051.JPG
048.JPG
025.JPG
034.JPG
038.JPG
041.JPG
043.JPG
022.JPG
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Minor Snow Run and snow cave...

Post by Nobody »

Looking good! Nice cave. Have you seen the technique of using a saw to cut blocks?
WINTER IS HERE
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

Nobody wrote:Looking good! Nice cave. Have you seen the technique of using a saw to cut blocks?
Yeah I had the kids study those videos and give us a presentation on it as part of their school... I have a slightly different idea of what education should be. Our older boy has even installed a lunchbox locker and they both get airing down, gearing, engines, carbs, efi etc. I'm going to have them rebuild a 22r together here pretty soon.

We used a saw backed machete for that part and it worked pretty good for carving out large chunks.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
nickb

Post by nickb »

Looks like a good day in the snow. I've seen the new MTR's work pretty good in crappy snow.