Hangover Run 2010 Trip Report

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Hangover Run 2010 Trip Report

Post by Nobody »

Brought in another year 4 wheeling in the snow. What a difference a year makes. On this day last year we were buried under massive amounts of snow. This year the mountain reminded us who was in charge. High winds and sideways rain. The roads were a couple inches of slush on top of solid ice. We stopped at a nasty side hill. There just wasn't any pay off to pushing forward. Of course we still had fun. Looking forward to next year!

Didn't get many good pictures this year. Everytime we tried to pull out the cameras, they got instantly soaked.

http://www.snowtrek.org/hangover-run-20 ... n-2010.php

This year

Same spot last year!

EBSTEVE getting owned by some ice. Kinda hard to lock in the hubs when you're on solid ice.
Time to air down!

A little sidehilling :eek: Solid ice!

This pic is kinda cool. Coming down the hill in the pit.
WINTER IS HERE
ToddKaz

Re: Hangover Run 2010 Trip Report

Post by ToddKaz »

Looks like we had a little more snow here down south :D I love the sidehill shot, classic off camber situation. It really is hard to believe how much snow was there last year, the side by side pictures really tell the story. What elevation did you all make it to?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

This place tops out about 4200'. The actual top of the mountain is 4700'. At that elevation, we weren't even close to getting out the rain. First thing in the morning it started snowing for about 5 minutes then went back to sideways rain for the rest of the day.

I was really hoping for some snow at the top. Just didn't work in our favor this year.
WINTER IS HERE
SnowPhoto

Post by SnowPhoto »

Here are some of the same photos processed a little better, and a couple of different ones.

Steve not actually about to die.

At first I just thought this one was really out of focus, then realized that I was focusing on the windshield instead of the grill. Still not a great picture, but better than I thought at first.

I think my anti-jeep bias showed up yesterday (on account of owning a LandCruiser for several years and people always calling it a Jeep). Josh's Jeep somehow didn't make it into any decent pictures, so I'm posting this one. I should also mention that Josh was the only one clever enough to bring a) firewood (duraflame) b) a lighter c) a chainsaw d) a torch to try for a half hour to light the wet log e) a winch to keep Steve from sliding to his certain demise off the side of the mountain.

Steve (and puppy) a few feet away from certain demise.

I liked this photo better as a black and white, since the rain and misty weather pretty well stripped all of the color from it anyway.

I'm off to see a movie shortly, but I may post a few more photos later.

- Matt Gore
Loser By Choice

http://www.gorephoto.com

Light and Matter : Photography Blog / Community
http://www.lightandmatter.org
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I was owned by the ice, if I took my foot off of the brake it slid, it took all 4 tires to hold it and I was in 2wd! thanks Matt for locking in my hubs for me and posting a picture of it LOL.
It was the wettest most miserable hangover run in recent years but it was still fun and my dog did well for her first trip up at 13 weeks old.
I just need to figure out what I need to wear as a base layer to keep warm even if I am wet but not be too hot if I am moving around.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Here's some video, nothing great, mostly just wanted to test video quality on youtube. I don't have an HD camera, but I up converted the video to HD. Seems like it worked pretty well.

WINTER IS HERE
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

"it's only a little cliff" lol
I did buy some polypropylene base layer pants and a nice Helly Hansen waterproof coat so at least next time we go out in a 32* monsoon I will be warm and dry.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I picked up some base layer stuff at costco. On the hunt for some non-cotton cargo pants and outer layers still. Enough of this getting soaked crap. :rolleyes2:
WINTER IS HERE
SnowWheeler

Post by SnowWheeler »

where is this at?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Welcome to the site. Not sure where you are from, but this particular place is in Skagit County, Washington. I mainly stick to the Cascade mountains between Seattle and Canada.
WINTER IS HERE
SnowWheeler

Post by SnowWheeler »

Nobody wrote:Welcome to the site. Not sure where you are from, but this particular place is in Skagit County, Washington. I mainly stick to the Cascade mountains between Seattle and Canada.
Im in north bend washington. I was just wondering if it was near me.