2-16-2014, Tonga Ridge

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
KS4runner

2-16-2014, Tonga Ridge

Post by KS4runner »

Awesome run today, I really wish we had been able to go farther but we were on a solo run and its just habit that i dont go too far up without another buddy rig, even though I can get myself out of just about any situation between my winch and one of my saws, still just nice to have someone else there. And there was all unbroken road just ahead of whee we had turned around but we were just driving through some snow cat tracks, no other trucks had been up so it was still really soft and powdery cause that snow cat hadn't compacted anything just cut a wide path on top of all the powder. So needless to say its crazy deep. About 4 feet of purely powder, just complete fluff it was awesome. I got those 10" wide wheels and didn't air down again today as I'm a little apprehensive to air down too far and have them debead, anyone know how far I can air down with those narrow tires without them wanting to walk off bead? Regardless it still does really well at full air pressure. Heres some pics !
Attachments
Just plowing that powder!
Just plowing that powder!
IMG_4112.JPG
Obviously deep.. Busted off a crawl light, that's what is hanging down underneath in the picture
Obviously deep.. Busted off a crawl light, that's what is hanging down underneath in the picture
Siped!
Siped!
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 2-16-2014, Tonga Ridge

Post by Nobody »

Lots of snow finally! Your tires are only half siped though. How low you can go really depends on the wheel brand. Some have better safety beads than others. I run 2psi in snow like that. You should expect to lose a bead and know how to deal with it. It shouldn't be something you worry about.
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

They are just a standard type of steel wheel, nothing fancy, nothing crappy, just anything you'd expect to go buy. Whatever brand les schwab has cause thats where I believe they came from. I know that 8's can hold beads better than 10's on the right situation, but without OBA I'm a little gun shy to air down too far and lose a bead, especially up there alone. I never had any problems when I had my old toyota and aired my 33's down to 8-10psi on 10" mickey thompson aluminum wheels, and thats all i ever really have needed anyway. But yes i was SOOO happy to get in some deep snow! Makes me love these TSL's I am thoroughly satisfied with my purchase. Now you really think i should sipe into my shoulder lugs ?? For traction or street life, because the only reason I'm gonna do it is for more road life, I'm pretty happy with them as far as traction goes already, so you tell me!
Chris Immer

Post by Chris Immer »

Looks like it should! Thanks for the pics. I have both TSL's and Iroks. TSL's siped center only and still have some major chunchs missing on the shoulder lugs. It would only be worse if siped. My Iroks no sipe at all but on my rig have outperformed in every situation the TSL's. Being larger made at the difference in my case. The TSL's are now on my Yota and don't see snow anymore or much road time for that matter. I ran the TSL's as low as 6 without folding the sidewall and the Iroks fold at 4. TSL's where always coming off the bead below 9-10 on 10" and the Iroks have never come off even as low as 4 on 10" Well that is my Ten cents worth!
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Yes the iroks probably are a better offroad tire but they're not on the road ! ;) and I had to have a tire to do both, and I am really happy with my TSL's honestly, especially surpised that they ride sooooo smooth and quiet, and they have ZERO balancing weights. The tire Machine said one wheel/tire wanted 24 oz. of weight to balance. There's not even enough rim to fit that much weight on them haha. Buts despite that, they seriously ride so much better than my fully balanced mt/r kevlars so I'm happy. I expected alot worse mannerisms on the road but they've scored a lot of points with me! As far as airing down I hope not to have to drop them below 10-12 anywhere, because I was moving snow up to my bumper yesterday and I was going just fine, and once again that was at 25 psi, so with full pressure I was still pleasantly surprised because last time I only got into about a foot and a half and that was only in the snow banks, yesterday was full on plowing!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

dang that looks nice. just swing by harbor freight for their air pump, it works good enough to get by. You should be able to go to 5psi easy without worrying about beads, but like Nobody said, you should expect them and be ready. I have lost beads a lot and just carry a can of starting fluid with me.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I lost the first bead in ages yesterday. It wasn't even in the snow! My timing was impeccable, as I was passing through a road building operation that was a gnarly mess of rocks and mud. :homer: I thought the dozer was coming up the road to push me off the side. I lucked out though, they like Fords :redneck:

I'm glad I had real on-board air. It took me longer to get out my hi-lift jack than it did to put the tire back on. ;)

WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Hahaha one of my friends said starting fluid too, I wish I could double my AC compressor as on board air and air conditioning, but oh well I'll get it figured out.. I can't believe you lost a bead there that's crazy?! How low was your air pressure?? Oh yeah good thing it was a ford huh;) hahaha good stuff. Well oddly enough I got some miserable shake steering once I went to these 10" wide wheels, which I had very very little of when these tires were on 8" wheels, but at any rate, I had to put a steering stabilizer on, here's a quick pic of it. Helped a LOT! I just bought the only one in stock at the local blowreilly's and cut a piece of angle iron and welded it to the axle housing and then welded one of the bolts they supplied to my tie rod, nice improvement for $35.
Attachments
image.jpg
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

We were coming down from the snow, so I was still at 3 psi.

Regarding the steering stabilizer. They generally just cover up other issues, you shouldn't need one. You might try moving that tire to the right rear. You can also try spinning the tire 180 on the wheel, or flipping it over.
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Ohhh okay that makes more sense haha. Well I used to have it moderately with my MT/r's and then it practically went away once I got my TSL's while they were on the 8" wheels, and really it would only happen when I was crossing train tracks for example, or hitting really rough moguls and similar things. But it came back way worse with these tires on 10" wheels and I really don't know why, but this helped alot so what else could it be considering the symptoms ?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

What you're describing almost sounds like mild death wobble, which is pretty much always due to worn parts, often a combination of multiple worn parts. A little bit of slop from many parts adds up. By going to wider wheels, you're just putting more leverage on everything. Another possibility could be a little bit of bump steer, but your drag link angle appears to be ok, so that's probably not it. Have someone rock your steering wheel back and forth while you watch for slop. Jack up each tire and check for bearing or king pin slop.
WINTER IS HERE
KS4runner

Post by KS4runner »

Okay well i will list out the onky steering parts i have and give you a run down on it all!l I know for a fact that my steering box is perfectly fine, besides the 1/16th inch I play it is supposed to have there's nothing there, and ALL my suspension and steering parts are brand new from when I straight axled this thing in the summer and I highly doubt they have all worn out over 8,000 miles haha. I stripped the entire axle of all it's original parts and had it sandblasted And when I got it back I fully rebuilt it with all factory Toyota parts. So it has brand new trunion bearings which are toyotas equivalent to a Typical open knuckle with kingpins (like Dana axles), but ours are closed knuckle, and those are always full of grease because I pack my knuckles once a week so there's no way those are worn out, and besides that with my high steer crossover steering setup it has a lot of leverage to turn big tires because of it's fulcrum points, but that's a double edge sword, lots of leverage on the steering wheel also means a lot of leverage for the tires to push back, so I'm pretty sure it's just the tire/ wheel combo giving me grief because there shouldn't be any reason for anything to wear out that quick especially with all brand new high quality parts you know? Do you agree?