Trip Report: 12/27

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
EBSTEVE

Trip Report: 12/27

Post by EBSTEVE »

We finally got a bit of snow so Matt and I decided to do a last minuet run. Conditions were great for an early year run but there is no base at the end of December. The day was great but as always I only got a few pictures.
Attachments
post9.jpg
post4.jpg
post5.jpg
post6.jpg
post7.jpg
post8.jpg
post1.jpg
It's not always fun getting the pictures
It's not always fun getting the pictures
Official photographer
Official photographer
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 12/27

Post by Nobody »

Not a bad little shake down run. I wish we had more snow. I'd say there was a solid 2 feet of snow with deeper drifts here and there. It was too wet to take many pictures. Visibility was so poor there wasn't much to see anyway. On the way out it was near white out conditions during some of the heavy wind gusts.

Photo Gallery: http://www.snowtrek.org/snow-wheeling-2 ... eeling.php

WINTER IS HERE
bobracing

Post by bobracing »

Nobody wrote:Not a bad little shake down run. I wish we had more snow. I'd say there was a solid 2 feet of snow with deeper drifts here and there. It was too wet to take many pictures. Visibility was so poor there wasn't much to see anyway. On the way out it was near white out conditions during some of the heavy wind gusts.
But you were still wheeling and that is always a good day.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

nice, Iron mt?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

bobracing wrote: But you were still wheeling and that is always a good day.
Especially after an extra long stretch of not getting out! Sadly, it's been like 10 months :eek:
n16ht5 wrote:nice, Iron mt?
;)
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

This is a short video to show the effect of airing down from 4psi to 2psi. I was having some difficulty making it up this hill in the snow. The snow had a wind slab top layer that wasn't strong enough to support the vehicle, but enough to slow any momentum. The snow underneath was wet and compacted into very slick ice on the first pass. After fighting it for a few minutes, I dropped the air pressure in my tires from 4psi to 2psi. After airing down to 2psi, I was able drive right up with little effort.

WINTER IS HERE
Chris Immer

Post by Chris Immer »

Hope to find some of that white stuff on Thursday! Dion and I are looking for some fun! Might see ya?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Video from this trip.

WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Re: Trip Report: 12/27

Post by Fubar »

that bronco is sweet. do you ever drive it in the rock/mud in summer or just snow?
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I'm not sure if your taking about my Bronco but I don't wheel it allot anymore except the snow. It's been through the Rubicon a few times, and allot of the local stuff here but with the politics involved in land use stuff combined with trails becoming groomed and over crowded I find I would rather go hiking or out on my Harley.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

EBSTEVE wrote:I'm not sure if your taking about my Bronco but I don't wheel it allot anymore except the snow. It's been through the Rubicon a few times, and allot of the local stuff here but with the politics involved in land use stuff combined with trails becoming groomed and over crowded I find I would rather go hiking or out on my Harley.
He didn't say the jalopy piece of crap :finger:

I haven't done much off season four wheeling for various reasons. Steve and I used to hit it pretty hard back in the day, then when four wheeling got popular things around here started getting screwed up. My Bronco still needs a full cage and rockers, so I try not to take it places it'll get trashed. I would like to get out a little more though. We were just talking about doing some longer trips again someday.

I think this might be the only proof I've actually driven somewhere without snow :laugh:

WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

the red bronco.

looks like you keep it in decent shape

edit: didnt see nobody's post

Haha no... that was my point exactly, i thought it looked pretty good!! :finger:
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

for comparison, at what elevation are you guys typically snow wheeling? we get dumps pretty often at "city level" but It gets packed down fast on the main routes.

I'm looking on google earth for places near me that may have side roads less traveled with higher elevations.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/aler ... source=web

snow fall warning currently....

wish my rig was done. havent had time to work on it lately.

mountains are about 30-45 minutes to the rolling foot hills, and after that there's usually road closures for avalanches with the big snow falls further into the mountains.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

The majority of our roads top out below 4500', and a few that go a little higher. I like to see 1-2 feet of new snow at 2000' or lower. That usually ensures a good day! I've gotten to be a snow snob over the years, and generally wait for good snow. Then I drop everything and go.
WINTER IS HERE
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

ok thats a good tip thanks.

I'm going to check out Mt. Baldy area this weekend and see what i can find. take my new snow shoes along too!!

elevation there is about 1800m-2000m so pretty decent.
I also spotted a road on Google maps that goes to the top peak and comes back down. I will report back what i find.

here's the coordinates to plug into Google maps if your curious: 51.033088, -115.121014 (look on "terrain view" to see topo map)

heres another road that looks promising, 51.049801, -115.057156
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

Ouch, truth hurts pavement princess :flipoff:
Nobody wrote:
He didn't say the jalopy piece of crap :finger:
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Fubar wrote:ok thats a good tip thanks.

I'm going to check out Mt. Baldy area this weekend and see what i can find. take my new snow shoes along too!!

elevation there is about 1800m-2000m so pretty decent.
I also spotted a road on Google maps that goes to the top peak and comes back down. I will report back what i find.

here's the coordinates to plug into Google maps if your curious: 51.033088, -115.121014 (look on "terrain view" to see topo map)

heres another road that looks promising, 51.049801, -115.057156
That looks like some beautiful country. I look forward to seeing some trip reports!
Attachments
51.033088, -115.121014
51.033088, -115.121014
51.049801, -115.057156
51.049801, -115.057156
WINTER IS HERE
funride

Post by funride »

Fubar wrote:that bronco is sweet. do you ever drive it in the rock/mud in summer or just snow?
Mostly cinema, Fubar...
Snowwheelermen participate in movies at summer...

EBSTEVE wrote:I'm not sure if your taking about my Bronco but I don't wheel it allot anymore except the snow. It's been through the Rubicon a few times, and allot of the local stuff here but with the politics involved in land use stuff combined with trails becoming groomed and over crowded I find I would rather go hiking or out on my Harley.
That's true. Hikes and rides happen much more often and it is generally not a nice idea to put everything on fourwheeling which sometimes happens too rarely, especially at summer.
I myself use bicycle alot, and in summer I like water crossings, same on the bike. It is scrambler and looks nice on the streets as well, I some times ride it somewhere, but on any occasion I go to routes and such.
I do not really like destroying earth with aggressive tyres, ad accelerating and digging soil relying on quite robust axles looks stupid to me.

Camel Trophy is nice...

And some part of the question is transporting something, some used snowmobiles to move the parts and even body of small SUV in winter between towns avoiding hiring of the proper truck.

I am using sleds drafted with me myself very often to move something to garage.

Transporting of the cargo is very impressive job...

Last edited by funride on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

Nobody, Are those pictures from that Ipad app you were talking about? ( i thought you mentioned it anyway) seems to have much better detail then google.

haha thanks funride for the videos
funride

Post by funride »

Fubar wrote:Nobody, Are those pictures from that Ipad app you were talking about? ( i thought you mentioned it anyway) seems to have much better detail then google.

haha thanks funride for the videos
Some think they are James Bond, take a look at this ride, an under water ride (this is a self-made vehicle, not Hammaer H1 at all):

This is a Callistratus made on portsl axles of UAZ, here's the link:

https://www.drive.net/r/selfmade/4053239664633478500/

And at Australian Top Gear at 07:12 at third video:

http://mytopgear.ru/news/top-gear-australia-03x02/

https://www.drive.net/l/4035225266124032501/