Snow Wheeling at Browns Camp 12/30/09

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Bobert

Snow Wheeling at Browns Camp 12/30/09

Post by Bobert »

Vid a friend put together. My truck is the white Tacoma. Not a whole lot of snow, but we got ripped off this year.

Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Snow Wheeling at Browns Camp 12/30/09

Post by Nobody »

Welcome to the site. You guys need to get some onboard air, then get those tires aired down below 5psi. You'll be able to crawl over that type of terrain. I sure hope we get some more snow!
WINTER IS HERE
Bobert

Post by Bobert »

Hopefully I'm going to finish my OBO install tomorrow. I have a couple Viair 480c compressors going in along with a 5 gallon tank. I think that oughta take care of it.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Never heard of those. Are they electric?
WINTER IS HERE
Bobert

Post by Bobert »

Yeah, they are electric. That will be the worst part of the install. I don't care for wiring.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Are you aware of converting an A/C pump for use as an air compressor? That's what I recommend. Although if you're going electric, I think you're on the right track with dual pumps.
WINTER IS HERE
built4war

Post by built4war »

nobody ive heard of people doing the a/c as a air comp. i have one that can off my 351w but its so big and weighs a ton. how did you hook your up and do you run it to a tank?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I've used several different pumps over the years and they all have worked great. I'm currently using the popular "York 10R". I had to fab my brackets to make it work with my 5.0L. I use my front bumper for an air tank. Which is still a work in progress.

The easiest way to get onboard air is to use whatever factory pump you can get to bolt on. If you set up the system to free flow air, you don't even need a tank. All the bells and whistles can be added later.

Onboard air is probably my favorite modification ever. Highly recommend it! A must have for snow wheelin.

WINTER IS HERE
built4war

Post by built4war »

how much psi that pump put out? can you run small air tools? my pump in similar but ill have to fab brackets to, cause when i got the motor the pump stood up right and theres no way it would fit under the hood like that. theres a suction and discharge whats the type of filter you have on the suction?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

They will run air tools pretty easily. If you have a york from ford, it's going to be the smaller displacement. Still works good though. If you need more air, you can always bump up the idle. I can air up a 36 from 3psi - 25 in about a minute at idle. You can find the 10R Yorks on 80's volvos. They're about $15 at our pull-a-part.

I think I picked up that filter from the air tool isle at sears, anything will do though. I like those filters that look like a porous stone, not sure what they are called.

I wouldn't get to hung up on running a york. They can be a real pain to mount. Great if you can get it to work, but most factory pumps out there work just fine too.
WINTER IS HERE
huckster09

Post by huckster09 »

wow i forgot about this site. im the one who made the vid, and im in the red tacoma. we really sould air down more. i go to about 12-15. im just kinda scared to go lower.

i now have a 93 full width SAS'd jimmy, that i working on now. i have a friend with a couple yorks that he was gunna give me, i would love to hook one up to the 4.3. but dont have any idea of how.